ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Dec 06, 2012 in: GTD projects in Toodledo
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 06, 2012
  • Score: 0
Can ListOmni do multiple stores for the same item, and filter by store. That's the feature I've had the most trouble finding (some apps actually claim to have this feature, and the necessary controls to do so are there, but they don't work).
Salgud

Posted Dec 05, 2012 in: Task to folder
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 05, 2012
I don't think it's obvious to everyone. It's never crossed my mind to do it, so it's never crossed my mind to want TD to do it for me. Generally, when I set up a system of this kind, I know that the folders will be areas of responsibility or projects, which will never misconstrued as tasks. Areas of responsibility will be things like "Work", "Home", "Murder Incorporated". Projects like "PPC Website" or "build explosive device". Tasks are generally verb-noun, like "buy materials", "call hitman", things like that. So, for me, and others, converting one to the other simply doesn't occur.
Salgud

Posted Dec 05, 2012 in: Website question about hotlist
  • Salgud
If you select "Main" which is a set of views, you'll see "Hotlist" there, which corresponds to the "Hotlist" on the iOS app.
Salgud

Posted Dec 05, 2012 in: Your Favorite Saved Searches?
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
By far, my own Hotlist. If shows Overdue tasks, tasks Due today, any task with "Top" priority, more or less. It's a little more complicated than that, as I have to filter out special tasks, like the ones in my Weekly Review and my "Daily Drill" tasks so they only show when I want them to.

I've been thinking about posting it here in detail, just haven't found the time.
Salgud

Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Score: -1
Posted by tek:
All of my tasks are the same priority but I still hate the orange/yellow marker. I was so clever, I thought, to remove the priority from my user interface. guess again.

actually, I hate the whole new ios update. can I go back? I like to have all of my folders show up all the time. I hate "mystery meat" navigation which is what we've got now.

why do we always have to "improve" everything that is already beyond perfection so that any changes at all are detrimental? Can you publish a "classic edition" please?

A few ask to go back every new release. Of course, TD, or any software vendor, can't maintain every version of the software back to Day One.

If you think TD was perfect, you obviously don't follow these forums. The majority of posts are for improvements, and very few to go back. Just the nature of the beast.
Salgud

Posted Dec 05, 2012 in: Task to folder
  • Salgud
You can copy and paste the task name to create the folder. :)
That's about it.
Salgud

Posted Dec 05, 2012 in: Importance view shows far-out tasks
  • Salgud
Posted by jpv2112-s:
But... unfortunately, it looks like these saved searches are not available on my iOS devices. Or am I missing it?

Unfortunately, no, you are not missing it. Saved Searches are not available on the iOS version at this time. We have recently been informed that they are high on "the list".
Salgud

Posted Dec 05, 2012 in: Importance view shows far-out tasks
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
It sounds like you're not using Saved Searches. For most advanced users, this is the heart and soul of TD. So much so that many of us seldom venture away from them.

You can certainly create a Saved Search to filter for things like, "Before tomorrow" (everything up through today). There are a thousand ways to customize TD to meet your own needs and to see exactly the tasks you want.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 04, 2012
Posted by JPR:
Posted by Salgud:
...My reply above about how the mobile app works vs the mobile website....

In the mobile site there is a setting called Storage. You can enable it to permanently store data in the browser, thus enabling you to work off-line.

Cool, I hadn't seen that. I stand corrected, yet still stand by my right to be ignorant and post accordingly! :) I also have no objection to being educated when I am.

This message was edited Dec 04, 2012.
Salgud

• Salgud
My experience over the last few years here is that TD does not and will not issue such information for solid business reasons.
Salgud

• Salgud
Why are people down-scoring legitimate comments? The purpose of down-scoring is to identify blatant attacks on others and/or spam, not comments that you may personally disagree with.

My reply above about how the mobile app works vs the mobile website is in no way unkind or an attack on anyone. It's just my belief. I could be incorrect (but I don't think so), but even if I am, that's not cause to down-score my post. Same thing with Mike Curl's post above. While I don't agree with his proposal, it's a legitimate idea which he is offering, not any kind of inappropriate spam or attack on others.

I would ask that we use this forum feature sparingly, and only for it's intended purpose, not to censor opinions we disagree with.

This message was edited Dec 04, 2012.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 03, 2012
Posted by AA:
Posted by Salgud:
To use the mobile site, ya gotta have internet access.

No, Salgud, you don't. Toodledo's mobile site is pretty smart and looks better than the new apps despite all the grey in it. I just have no use for it (not being on Android).

I put my iPhone in Airplane mode, and couldn't access the mobile site. The dedicated iOS app works fine. I'm still convinced you need an internet connection to get to an internet site, mobile or otherwise, but not for a dedicated app. It's not about how "smart" the app is, it's about where it lives.

As to all the gray, I can barely tell them apart that way.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by Alan:
Personally, I don't expect the mobile version of a site to work or look the same as a dedicated app. If that were the case, why have a dedicated app, especially since you can use the mobile site offline anyway.

I think you meant just the opposite. You can access a dedicated smartphone app offline, it'll just save your changes until you're online and it can sync. To use the mobile site, ya gotta have internet access.
Salgud

• Salgud
I suggest you get rid of Corkboard, whatever that is. TD can't fix what another app does, and it's not their responsibility.
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by jpv2112-s:
Hello,

I have some periodic tasks that should not start until the start date and then once completed, get recycled to the next periodic date (e.g., file quarterly taxes, check propane tank levels). While awaiting for the next time, their status is "waiting" but when that time comes, their status should no longer be "waiting" but something else to reflect the increased urgency.

It would be nice to have the status of these task change automatically to reflect their changing roles. For example, once the "start date" has passed, it would be nice if the status changes from "waiting" to "next action." And then once the user clicks done on these recurring tasks, their status reverts to "waiting".

Do others have this type of task? How to you treat/enter these tasks in to Toodledo?

That's what David Allen's (Getting Things Done, or around here, GTD) Weekly Review is for. (I should caveat here that I am not a GTDer myself, but I've borrowed in some cases from Allen.)Every Monday morning (in a few minutes in this case), I go through my entire task list in TD and I update the status of all tasks that need it. In my case, I have a series of views in TD's Saved Searches that I review in addition to some other steps that I have in a "project" (parent task, in Pro Version only)which lists all of the steps in my Weekly Review. (If interested, seem a more detailed synopsis of my system in the "Tips and Tricks" forum under "My Trusted System").This mostly involves my updating my various lists of tasks to make tasks that have an "Active" status to "Next Action". Usually, on Mondays, I have too many tasks with "Next Action" status to do in a day, so I Star the most urgent/important 5 and work on those. When they are done, I go back to my personal Hotlist (not the TD Hotlist) and select the next 5. Usually by Tues, or maybe Wed, I don't have to Star them anymore, I just work from my Hotlist.

It's hard to write software to auto-update task status because virtually all of us using TD would want different criteria to determine when to update the status and different ideas on what attribute to update. Should it update Status or Priority or both? Should it be when it's overdue, or 2 days overdue, and should it be only high priority tasks, or...

There already is a field that auto-updates called "Importance". If you haven't already, you might want to look at it. But there's a problem with Importance, which is exactly what I've said above. Occasionally, someone will post a message asking to have the formula for Importance (in the Help Screens) to something different. Everybody has his/her own idea about what is important, and no single formula works for everybody. Many users don't use Importance at all because it just doesn't suit their needs.

I've experimented with quite a few high end task managers, and have yet to see one that auto-updates tasks' status for this very reason. I suggest that you put into your task list a task to review your list at least weekly to both make sure it is complete and to update the status of your tasks. You are the only one who really knows what the status of each task should be. You may well need a few Saved Searches (the heart and soul of TD)to do this. As any frequent flyer in these forums will tell you, no matter what approach they took here, they would be barraged with complaints the next day about it. If you're watching these forums now, you'll see they get barraged with complaints when they change a font size!
Salgud

Posted Nov 30, 2012 in: Notebook search
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 30, 2012
You can also use your browser's Search/Find function to search everything on the current page.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 29, 2012
Posted by mlb32704:
Follow up question - as a short term solution until ToodleDo offers a way to get rid or hide these priority marks, is there a way to globally select hundreds of tasks at one time then mark them all top priority? That would make it a little less distracting, at least as a short term interim fix.

You can do that online using a Search and then Multi-edit. The iOS version doesn't have Search capabilities.
Salgud

Score: -2
  • Salgud
  • Score: -2
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal
Salgud

Posted Nov 29, 2012 in: Negative priority or Maybe/Someday?
  • Salgud
I'll start by saying there is no "correct" way. It's however you choose to use it, based on what works best in your system. I use the Location field in an entirely different way that what the developers intended, and they don't seem to mind a bit. :)

That said, I use negative priority only on template tasks as one of a few ways to differentiate them so I can filter them out of all my working Saved Searches easily. I use Someday for tasks that I'd like to do if and when I get the time. (That hasn't happened for a while.) But if you want to use the Someday status to mark tasks to be done by your cousin Vinny, then go ahead, as long as it works for you. Certainly, using negative priority for tasks you probably won't get to for a while is one, of many, possible uses.
Salgud

Posted Nov 28, 2012 in: Sync with Google Tasks
Score: 3
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 28, 2012
  • Score: 3
@csedr

Sorry, but I established my claim as the MIC (Most Important Customer) a long time ago (see Chit Chat forum), and as such, before they can do anything else, the TD developers MUST reconfigure TD for MY needs. So far, it hasn't worked out too well, but I'm still hoping. ;)

This message was edited Nov 28, 2012.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next