ForumsNewsFuture Plans

Future Plans
Larry2

Posted: Oct 18, 2018
Score: 4 Reference
Add at least one more tier. From $20 to $60 is unreasonable for a lot of people and I'm one of them. I don't need it for business or anything heavy. Just something to for my grocery list, to dos, projects, etc. that sync across multiple platforms. The Basic is too basic (first shock was no 3rd party integration) and Individual has too many "features" I would never use. Current Silver is good for my needs. Another tier at say $30 which would be about par with Silver seems fair to me.

I'm sorry to be rude but it looks to me like your are wanting 2 things. 1. Generate more money with fewer customer and 2. Aim for business and heavy users. Those of us on the lower use or needs are not your target customers. In other words, not me.

I can't imagine an individual trying out the Basic and then be will to pay for the Individual who only needs to share lists with family members or friends.

I think too you missed the boat. You should have announced some firm plans and features before announcing the increase. You may have been able to generate a discussion on the value of the added features in line with your prices (but $60 is still too high for me).

I haven't checked the forum for comments but, as an example, how about an update on the iOS app? You want to raise prices and haven't generated anything new except for maybe some web stuff.
AA

Score: 3 Reference
Posted by Larry2:
The Basic is too basic (first shock was no 3rd party integration)

To be honest, it strikes me as downright unusable. No Hotlist??? I find the Hotlist to be perhaps the finest Toodledo feature. (I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen it in competitors such as Todoist, Wunderlist et al.) How are people supposed to fall in love with Toodledo if you don't even let them try out the Hotlist? I can't see myself recommending the Basic version to anyone (as opposed to the current setup – I've been enthusiastically recommending Toodledo for years).

This message was edited Oct 18, 2018.
pokrakam

Holy cr@p, I just got the news about the subscription. 300% increase is quite frankly insulting.
Though I've been a long time user, there are plenty other tools out there and I'll be moving out of principle. This is not how you treat your customers.
targheauto

Score: 1 Reference
Me too I will be leaving Toodledo, sadly. With a 300% increase, we'll still miss the most important feature that I am asking for since I subscribed the first time: multilevel subtasks. Better go on with paper and pencil or other cheaper tools. So long and thanks for all the fish!
ben

Score: 2 Reference
I too will be reassessing my subscription when it comes up for renewal. Currently a gold user and have been with Toodledo for just over 9 years now.

This is exactly what has killed off Evernote. They hiked prices and changed subscriptions to provide even less value to their users. It's no wonder so many people jumped ship. Now all their exec board has left and they are laying off workers.
vpiaget

I have a 5-year silver subscription for $67 oneshot ($13.4/year)
An increase of +347% ?????

come on guys ... !!
without me
Tracie2602

Looks like Toodledo is on it's way out. Looks like the new owners want to make a quick turnaround, then sell up/close down. Funny how Todoist, Anydo, Nozbe, Get it Done, GQueues, Doit.im, plus many more manage to keep their prices affordable.
Tracie2602

Score: 0 Reference
Unlimited history only available in business package & now a lack of confidence in the long term viability of Toodledo are the main reasons I will now be migrating. The new owners need to realise when all is said and done, Toodledo is just a to do list, admittedly a very good one but one amongst thousands out there. I will miss Toodledo but I will get used to a new software. A loyal customer base is hard to replace, A To Do list isn't
sdahl

Totally agree... 200%/3x price increase with just promises of "something better, sometime" just isn't a good idea - especially as a reward for long-term users.

AA

Now when it comes to this sentence:

Posted by Jake:
This is an exciting time for Toodledo!

I swear I'm not making this up, but as soon as I read that opening sentence of Jake's post back in July, without having read any further, I shuddered with horror. It's exactly the type of sentence that software developers use to announce, in a somewhat unnaturally sounding, jubilant tone of voice, that they have just sold their software to someone else... who then proceeds to ruin the software and/or put it to its grave in short order. Dare I only mention the Mailbox –> Dropbox –> farewell example, or Stanza –> Amazon –> demise, and there are many others.

As I proceeded to read Jake's message from July further, it didn't seem that bad, and I was somewhat comforted. As it turns out now, though, just 3 short months later, my initial intuition was likely correct, and it appears Jake's message may have signaled the beginning of the end for Toodledo, as many users here in the forums (not just myself) react with shock at yesterday's price-hike news, announcing their departure from Toodledo, and many can already hear the death knell.

But perhaps all is not lost. You may have heard about the health brand, Withings. Its French founder sold it to Nokia a couple of years ago. Lo and behold: a couple of months ago, the news broke that the Withings founder changed his mind... and he purchased the Withings brand back from Nokia.

Erm... Jake? ;-)

(You see, having read Jake's posts here for many years, I find it impossible to imagine Jake raising the prices for his loyal customers by 200%, 300%, or whatever it is. But to purchase someone else's software, and then slap its users with a 200% or 300% price increase? Sure, no problem... there's no emotional baggage associated with that.)

mjbernstein

Posted by Jim_Lewis:
[quote]We are adjusting plans on January 1st

Some of the features we’re excited about before the end of 2018 are a fully revamped native app experience, improved batch editing and task sorting, and much more.

However, for us to invest sustainably for the long-term, Toodledo is adjusting its plans and pricing to more accurately reflect the value users get from the platform. So we are announcing the new Individual and Business plans.

Here is my question? What do you mean fully revamped native app experience?

I assume this is referring to the iOS at least as that was mentioned as the thing that is in progress--everything else is listed as planned? I do not use iOS. I use Android but much more I use the web service (is this included in native apps?)

Here is the problem with iOS--Apple outmodes everything. They sell expensive hardware and then after just a few years stop supporting it. But with Windows I can use pretty dated hardware are still do business applications--for Windows you only need the really pricey stuff for gaming and graphics intensive stuff which my work is not.

iOS forces apps for update to work with their updates far too often. So honestly, I think 60 dollars a year is fair--ish provided that what I use updates too. Thinking that for 99 dollars a year I get the most up to date Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, One Note--60 dollars a year is I guess fair enough provided that we progress benefits everyone who is paying--not just those who want iOS kept up to date.

I have said it before but I will say it again--Toodledo was at its time a great web resource--and it is still pretty powerful. But by today's standard it is CLUMSY and unfun. We need options for manual sorting and automatic sorting. We need drag and drop. We need to be able to batch edit tasks. We need to be able to retitle things like the names of the fields used, adjust the width of the fields displayed, the order in which those fields are displayed. How to adjust these things needs to be more granular and less fixed. The way to adjust these things needs to be more intuitive--nobody new to Toodledo is going to figure it out without bearing with it for some time--which I have--but most will not.

Yes this is a big ask and yes you are new to Toodledo--but from a customer standpoint--these are unchanged for the better part of a decade so there is a lot of catching up to do. The fact that ownership has changed is not really my deal. Prior ownership alluded to these updates but they never happened and ultimately the owner made it clear he was burned out with the thing and the tag was made.

So with the price increase you are scaring some away but without make this thing frankly more attractive and intuitive it is going to fade as current users will explore other platforms and new users will loose elsewhere. All of this is true, unless of course, you get a huge set of corporate buyers but that will leave us individual users having to adapt and pay for software more intended for corporate use.

Honestly, I still like Toodledo over others as it is powerful--but it is time consuming and tedious to use, far from perfect, and not even a little intuitive.

Marc

MelaEckenfels

I'm chiming in with the choir.
Doubling the price: maybe.
But only while keeping all the current features - at least for old users.
Trippling the price AND cutting features=I will actively searching for a Toodledo replacement.

Mela
korey99

Score: -1 Reference
Can someone help me find a more complete list of the features per tier? Currently a Silver subscribers (as others, not because I needed the features, but to support a product I use). But I can't justify $60 for something I use moderately and not as frequently as I should. Mostly I'm concerned with IFTTT integration and the hotlist. I saw hotlist and 3rd party integrations called out above, but can't find a reference.
AA

Here's the reference (in two versions after initial backlash):

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26237/-117107/read.html#jump

Note it doesn't mention things like Habits or Lists at all – hope this doesn't mean those features will be scrapped. If so, I'm outta here in the blink of an eye, even before my Gold plan runs out next summer. ;-)
Brian Morgan

Voicing my agreement with frustrated customers' statements regarding tier pricing and features. Moving to business version to keep all of my current Gold features (full task history) yet gain features I don't use (collaboration) tips the value proposition unfavorably for me. I'll be using my remaining subscription time to evaluate the quality of any changes to web service or iOS app, and looking at alternatives. I'm an 8-year paying customer (Gold level). The proposed schema is a bridge too far.
korey99

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by AA:
Here's the reference (in two versions after initial backlash):

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26237/-117107/read.html#jump

Thank you.

IFTTT was my archive for completed tasks. And Hotlist was a pretty good feature. But I think this might be the end of the road. I have Todoist lists for my family, and while I don't like it as much as ToodleDo, we've all got our price. My price comparison is to what I pay for my online backup and Netflix. Those are tools I use daily, and they have a lot of cost for storage.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'd rather stay. Just don't see how you can charge so much more than your competitors. I stuck with this app because I like it best, and if you put in enough new stuff to make it worth the price increase, it's not going to be the app I like anymore.

P.S. for what it's worth, I only use the to-do list part. I don't need habits, documents, file storage, photo editing, song suggestions, recipes, etc. Just need something slightly better than my piece of paper or a google doc.
dleit

Tripling the price with no concrete tangible improvements is unconscionable.

I'll be grandfathered in through November 2019, so I will wait and see. But this bodes very badly.
Purveyor

Score: 9 Reference
With no improvements. Period.

BTW, you are not "grandfathered". You have paid for services until November 2019.

In his email, Aaron says: "These plan changes will not affect your current pricing schedule throughout the duration of your current subscription; you are grandfathered into your current plan until your next renewal date."

As aleding points out:
The new folks are simply honoring the existing contracts already in place and which pricing expires at the end of the existing term. That's not grandfathering - as I said that's called honoring a contract. To not do so would be a breach and possibly lead to litigation.

The Wikipedia article on Grandfather clause offers a good definition:
A grandfather clause (or grandfather policy) is a provision in which an old rule continues to apply to some existing situations while a new rule will apply to all future cases. Those exempt from the new rule are said to have grandfather rights or acquired rights, or to have been grandfathered in.

konstat

Score: 6 Reference
I think the new prices are a pretty bad decision and will lead to the end of toodledo. Me and a lot of other customers who already wrote their opinions in this forum will not prolonge the plans we used to pay for for years. There's a lot of other similar services out there - some for free, most for prices far lower than the new toodledo prices. So I don't see that a lot of people will be willing to pay for the new plans. I really would have liked to stay a paying customer for many more years because I like toodledo a lot, but a 300% increase from currently 20$/year to 60$/year is way too much. I hope that the toodledo team reads the forum and rethinks the decision about the plans. Otherwise I will have to research which service will be my next choice...
boydston01

Score: 8 Reference
$90 a year for a todo app. That is insane. I am not one to care much about price. If it works for me, I am happy to pay a premium. In fact, that is why I've been happy to pay the very lofty price of $30/year for the gold subscription. $30/year WAS EXPENSIVE for a todo app! Yes, it's one of the most powerful todo apps, but still a todo app.

Just a single quick comparison:
Office 365 Personal (1 user) is CHEAPER at $70/year. Family, for 6 users, is $100/year, only $10 more than Toodledo. One of the many things Office 365 includes is a very robust todo application in Outlook. Oh, and that todo app is fully integrated into a complete email/calendar solution with robust exchange syncing to mobile apps.

The point is that $90/year brings Toodledo into a completely different realm and level of productivity solutions. Absolutely absurd for a todo app.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.