ForumsNewsFuture Plans

Future Plans
dnorcross

Posted: Jul 12, 2018
Score: 2 Reference
Welcome to the new team. I for one agree with everyone's assessment that the product is already great. However, that does not mean there is not room for improvement. For example the Notes module is an area that folks have wanted modifications to for years. If we had a WYSIWYG editor and a way to tag notes it would be huge. Also to be able to add notes to a task folder would be very beneficial.

I am not worried about the changes. Change is good and is sometimes needed. I wish the previous owners all the best and if it were not for them obviously we would not be here. But welcome to the new group and I look forward to working with you and helping any way that I can.
lettings

Score: 0 Reference
Welcome new guys

I like Toodledo and have been using it for years and have several basic paid versions for most of the employees in my small company and use it to delegate tasks, project manage and track what the people do. BUT we need it to be embedded in outlook 365 and gmail and google calendar in some way. Not some silly pop up window but an actual panel on outlook so i can drag emails into it and give it a priority, a due date and reminders etc. Plus not having to leave outlook or gmail to open a new tab or popup to jot down a task that i need to remember is good as it causes distractions.

I hope that will be done in the near future so i can stop having different task lists in gmail which don't sync with tasks in outlook and don'tsync with phone or ipad task. Very frustrating.

There used to be a workaround to get it Toodledo in a side panel in the older Outlook but on Outlook 365 I cant get it to work.

Lest hope you bring in some handy new features without charging too much.

B
Chris.Hasty

Hi guys and welcome to the team. I like to break things to see how I can put them back together better, because "how it's always been done" doesn't mean its been done the best way at all. Really hoping the changes you're imagining don't stray too far from the focus of a solid tool. Keep it simple, but make it simply f-ing awesome at what it does!! I used a tool for many years called Life Balance by Llamagraphics with some very unique features that did amazingly well for me until the founder had to step away due to family reasons and let let it die.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted by Jim_Lewis:
BTW, for folks worried about backups and moving things elsewhere for whatever reasons, I'd like to recommend gSyncit by Fieldstonsoftware.com

I have been using it for years to backup and sync (and also archive important completed tasks for a record) to desktop Outlook. I have it set up to sync to a Tasks folder in my Office 365 and sync to my Office 365 Exchange Server account - and the two processes, ToodleDo to desktop Outlook, then desktop Outlook to the Exchange Server, can go on concurrently without any conflict..

Refreshing my mind a bit here, the lowest common denominator for gSyncit is desktop Outlook. If you move your tasks from ToodleDo to Outlook, there are then a variety of other Task Managers with which you can sync/move your tasks, e.g., Google Tasks, Pocket Informant, Nozbe, etc.

It's not perfect. For instance, there is no negative priority level in Outlook Tasks so I accommodated by ceasing to use negative priority in ToodleDo and I had syncing problems if I included the ToodleDo folder field in my Outlook backup (the dev said it was probably because the folder was deleted or renamed in ToodleDo between syncs).

But other than that hiccup for me, you can add ToodleDo Task fields as user-defined custom fields to your Outlook Tasks folder, etc.

My main reason for syncing to Outlook is I can get by with a Silver subscription (have since 2011) except for the fact that COMPLETED Tasks only have a 2-year life on a Silver subscription. By archiving important completed tasks to Outlook, e.g., home improvements, I can delete them from ToodleDo and do fine with my Silver subscription.

I also periodically make XML backups from ToodleDo.

gSyncit has problems with some networks and firewalls, and the developers’ response in my case was “too bad..” even though some other similar add ons worked just fine.

However, I had good luck with simple CSV backups.
boydston01

Score: 3 Reference
Jake, thanks for toodledo. It has been an immense blessing.

Some of my "high-level" thoughts in this transition:

-Toodledo is rock-solid, super reliable, high-performing, and very mature. There is very little essential functionality that needs to change. Don't break it.
-Toodledo has always favored function over form. This is its underlying strength, not a liability.
-Toodledo is one of the only task management apps that can truly be adjusted to how a person works (most todo apps require you to work in a particular manner). This is accomplished by two things: 1) Tasks have many fields so that users can choose what they want to use 2) Robust custom views ("saved searches") that allow users to organize and view their tasks however they want. The filtering/sorting based on lots of tasks fields produces "endless" possibilities.
-I believe Toodledo's growth lies NOT in app development so much (it's already very mature), but in marketing and sales. Capitalize on its strength (customizable to a businesses todo workflow) and get Toodledo into more markets. In fact, I say most of Toodledo's still-needed core-development revolves around exploiting its strengths. For example, building a user interface that is entirely customizable and building tools that make all the customization "easy" (like figure out how to make complex saved searches really intuitive).

Over the years, I am convinced Jake has always been very intentionally cautious about adding new features because that always breaks things. Many of us whine about "needed-features" but those missing features play a big part in Toodledo being "the best todo app" around. Yes, drag and drop would be great!!! But what will be sacrificed?
darkpollo

First, thank you Jake for everything you have done all this years.

I have filled up the form already, but I will add here the same thing:

Whatever you do, make sure you do not destroy what is working. :)

Good luck!!

Ángel
boydston01

Posted by stateoftheart:
This is exactly what I was worried about. some stupid execs with zero understanding of actual productivity (please read the quote below very carefully) complain toodledo is "ugly" on iphone because they can't change the theme. New team sweeps in to dumb-ify the app to make some extra bucks off the GTD++++ or whatever fad of the day and we are all screwed.
In other words it will be a copy of countless todo apps in market.
It's official: toodledo as we know and love is dead in less than a year.

Posted by Sam:
Posted by kcrenshaw:
My company does productivity and management training for executives (www.priacta.com).
We've featured and recommended Toodledo as our #1 productivity tool for some time.

In live screen sharing and coaching sessions. I've seen Toodledo through the eyes of clients who love and struggle with it.

I'm also a developer and business owner and understand the need for backward compatibility and profitability.
I have some very specific feedback on what clients love, what we think should improve, and how to make more money from it with little effort.

We love and recommend Toodledo because it is highly customizable.
We configure it for TRO (a GTD++ approach, more productivity, less effort).
If that ever changes so we can't do that, we'd have to move to another tool instead. So the customization has to stay.

If you want to talk, reach out via http://kevincrenshaw.com (orange button at top or form at bottom).

In the meantime, the following are the biggest holdups for our clients:

- Ugly (non-colorful) UI on the iPhone app, no choice of themes.
Many execs would rather struggle with a more stupid but colorful app just because of the appearance!
Go figure. But true. One recent client said, "The user interface is 10 years old!"

- Shortcut keys are inadequate, lack of autocomplete.
Some clients rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts.
Some because of RSI and others for efficiency.
But lack of autocomplete and other problems make it nearly impossible to fill in task details *in a task grid* without using a mouse.
For example, clients struggle to use a keystroke-only approach to setting dates after tabbing to the field.

- And I know how you can make more money on it with almost no effort.
- And we may know how to expand it to a team workflow approach (TRO for teams) with the least effort, so you can start selling to teams like Asana does.

Kevin Crenshaw
Head Coach and Co-Founder
Priacta / Neverboss
www.priacta.com
www.neverboss.com

This is great Kevin, huge thanks. Can you email me so we can chat? [email protected]

To be fair, it would be easy to improve aesthetics (and give color options) without touching functionality. I agree with your point, though, but not sure it applies here (time will tell).

This message was edited Jul 12, 2018.
boydston01

Posted by jenschiltz:
Hi, I'm a user of Toodledo for over 10 years and I use it all day long. Please don't change anything! It's a great tool! One request though, could you please enhance it so that you can select multiple tasks and change the due date? This would help efficiency immensely!

Which is it? Don't change anything? Or please enhance? LOL :D
Jim_Lewis

Posted by boydston01:
Posted by jenschiltz:
Hi, I'm a user of Toodledo for over 10 years and I use it all day long. Please don't change anything! It's a great tool! One request though, could you please enhance it so that you can select multiple tasks and change the due date? This would help efficiency immensely!

Which is it? Don't change anything? Or please enhance? LOL :D

Multiselect in one handy feature in the Android app The Ultimate To-Do List. You can discontinuously select multiple Task items and change parameters like Start Date, Due Date, Parent Task, Priority, Folder, Status, Context. It's also very easy to extend the selection to everything in a View or Search, then just deselect (discontinuously, if you want), the items that you don't want to be affected by the global application of your field changes. There is no "editing view," though, that shows you all the changes that you have collectively made on a group's properties if you are applying more than one change - so you have to have a good memory of what you've changed so far. It would be nice if the initially selected items would remain selected and there could at least be a view of what you've changed so far about them TO WHAT (it would be hard, if they all differed, to show the FROM WHAT past condition).

I use the UTL multiselect feature any time that I need this missing ToodleDo feature ….. (sorry, I'm too lazy to find jenschiltz's original post so I am just quoting boydston01....
zachsdad

love Toodledo, been using it for so many years...constantly trying other task management systems but always come back to Toodledo.
It is so simple to use...should i start looking for other options. I'm worried about my data and Toodledo going bye bye.
justinhappy

Posted: Jul 13, 2018
Posted by Jake:
This is an exciting time for Toodledo! We are about to transition ownership of your favorite productivity tool to a smart group of people who are going to take Toodledo to the next level.

I started Toodledo 14 years ago to manage my own tasks and I never thought it would grow so big and become so popular. I couldn't have done it without a lot of talented collaborators over the years, and all of you guys, our wonderful loyal users. Together, we have built the most powerful productivity tool on the internet.

There are still a lot of ways that Toodledo can grow and improve, but I feel like I personally have taken Toodledo as far as I can take it. Now, it's time for me to step back and let some new talent take it further.

So, without further ado, let me introduce the new team of Ramon, Sam and Anant. Ive been talking with these guys for awhile now, and I have the utmost confidence that they will do a great job. Starting next week, we will begin the transition and start talking about their plans for the future.

I'm still a big Toodledo power user, so Im not disappearing. I'll linger for awhile to make sure that the transition goes smoothly and after that I'll still be using Toodledo and popping up in these forums.

Hi Jake,
Congrats on the sale!
I would just like to know one thing. The encryption of data still remains and is not visible to anyone, even with the new owners? Are the new owners able to break it?
Thanks.
gpganesh

Wish you all the very best

Posted by Jake:
This is an exciting time for Toodledo! We are about to transition ownership of your favorite productivity tool to a smart group of people who are going to take Toodledo to the next level.

I started Toodledo 14 years ago to manage my own tasks and I never thought it would grow so big and become so popular. I couldn't have done it without a lot of talented collaborators over the years, and all of you guys, our wonderful loyal users. Together, we have built the most powerful productivity tool on the internet.

There are still a lot of ways that Toodledo can grow and improve, but I feel like I personally have taken Toodledo as far as I can take it. Now, it's time for me to step back and let some new talent take it further.

So, without further ado, let me introduce the new team of Ramon, Sam and Anant. Ive been talking with these guys for awhile now, and I have the utmost confidence that they will do a great job. Starting next week, we will begin the transition and start talking about their plans for the future.

I'm still a big Toodledo power user, so Im not disappearing. I'll linger for awhile to make sure that the transition goes smoothly and after that I'll still be using Toodledo and popping up in these forums.
michael

Score: 1 Reference
I've been reading a lot of the posts here but haven't had time to read all of them. My own feelings are very simply this:

I found Toodledo's free functionality so useful for my life that I bought a paid Silver subscription even though I do not use any of the paid features.

Let me reiterate. I found the free version so useful that I voluntarily decided to pay the company money because I felt it was worth it.

Please do not break the simple functionality as you move forward.

Thanks,
Michael
sunboxtv

Score: 1 Reference
I agree with Michael "https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/25931/-115695/read.html#jump "
Im a developer the last 12years
Toodledo was and is one of my "happy expences"

For me..
I really don't need the silver version but im paying for it just because i want to support it and for the stability.!!
You are going to hear this a lot here..

NOW ...for you new owners. (Sam and the guys)
First congratulations for you purchase! Toodledo is a smart purchase!
Why? ..Because it has loyal payed subscriber (The low prices is one of reasons ...also the simplicity ..and the STABILITY)

Suggestions:
If i was in your place i wouldn't touch a thing...
I would spend some more money to advertise this "simple tool" to more users out there. (And make more loyal subscribers ..more money for my pocket)

IF you want to make Toodledo more advanced or complicated (more like the mobile version they have been working on lately)
ps: "this mobile version was canceling the desktop nature of Toodledo"
well the profits will start dropping im afraid

Just think.. what makes the Toodledo a valuable investment?

The simplicity? --> YES (its easy maintainable)
The tech behind it? --> NO ..its simple (everybody can create a tool like toodledo)
The uniqueness of this tool? --> NO ..there are thousands like this out there.. (waiting for you to fail..they already know what your subscribers want)
Why the competitors don't take your subscribers --> ...because THEY DON'T WANT TO LEAVE Toodledo ...why? ..because it has the same interface all these years ..no major changes ..they even pay for subscriptions they don't need, in order to stay like this.!!

What do you make of all this?? -->... Spend money for more subscriber like them ...don't loose them

It's like wishing to win the lottery (220millions) --> in order to take the money and invest them somewhere else --> to make money
You already have the money.!! ..Toodledo is the Duck with the golden eggs (your competitors envy you)

Suggestion 2:
Lay back and enjoy your next 10years of automatic income.!! Advertise more..

TOODLEDO IS LIKE WINDOWS XP ...nobody wanted to leave them because they were SIMPLE ..LIGHT ..FAST ..RELIABLE ..and FAMILIAR.
Windows users still dont want use even Win10
Who is the winner in this situation? --> LINUX distros like Mint and Solus (there is no turning back)

This message was edited Jul 13, 2018.
aleding

@sunboxtv:

I so incredibly agree re: WinXP - while I am now on linux\macos, I did actually love WinXP (and still use it in select cases). IMO, it was the last good\great OS out of Microsoft. Win7 hangs in ok but still not as solid - again, MHO...

I say the above only to reiterate your comparison to Toodledo...very much agreed there as well...

mightybeech

Jake,

Thanks for a fantastic product. I have used it everyday for many years. It is truly a gift.

To the new owners. Congratulations. Please don't change anything, just enjoy the revenue stream.

Regards,

Paul
kenckar

Good luck with your acquisition. I am a huge fan and user of ToodleDo and wish you the best.

I do have one bug that I reported some time back, but have not seen any progress yet.

In the Habits section, I have a few habits that I track using numbers some of them I want more (socializing at work), some less (alcoholic beverages). I like to see the average across time. The way the graph calculates the average is to sum all the incidences, then divide by the number of fields with a non-zero value. So if I have values of 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, it will report an average of 6.

A more useful approach would be to include any time there is any value. So that average would be 1. Whereas 6, , , , , , , SHOULD give a 6. My current workaround is to put a .001 into the field, but that's kind of strange.

BTW, I am a numbers geek, and I like numbers to be correct and act as expected. But you guessed that already.

Thanks for your assistance on this, and again best wishes going forward.

Jim_Lewis

Posted: Jul 14, 2018
On Win XP being MS's last great OS, I have been a Microsoft user since 1983 (DOS 2.0 or so) - before that I was a Unix/DEC terminal user/IBM punchcard user, etc.

It's nuts saying that Win XP was Microsoft's greatest and best OS. Try listening to folks who know, i.e., Windows Weekly podcast on Twit with Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley, Leo LaPorte as host. They feel that Windows 10 in its latest version is Microsoft's best OS, ever. And so do I.

Just the security issues of Windows XP disqualify it (but hey, that's no big deal)…..

Aside from trying to decide which Microsoft OS used to be best, it looks like Google is taking over the world with Android and Chromebooks, owns 60% of the U.S. education market with Microsoft and Apple each reduced to about 20%, so someday in the not-too-distant future, the relevancy of Microsoft and Apple may be far reduced and those of us still around may be most concerned about Android, a flavor of Linux.

So I'm just having fun and kidding folks who extoll Windows XP. But NEW OWNERS, just make sure ToodleDo runs great on Android and Chromebooks and the future is assured for ToodleDo...….!
creinhard

Are most users using Toodledo on mobile or desktop platform? It's hard to tell from these posts ...

I personally use desktop version 99%, with a rare android visit here and there. I can't imagine being as productive on smarphone or tablet as I am on desktop ...

Chris
frogboy

Posted by creinhard:
Are most users using Toodledo on mobile or desktop platform? It's hard to tell from these posts ...

I personally use desktop version 99%, with a rare android visit here and there. I can't imagine being as productive on smarphone or tablet as I am on desktop ...

Chris

I am on desktop (Mac) for long uses of it, data input and tweaking, then on iPad for quick entry and day to day.

In my mind the biggest priority #1 is keep it as is,

Just tweak a few UI things, but not so important.

AND

the iOS app <--- Priority #2, #3 & #4

(sorry Androiders)

Thanks Jake - all the best!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.