ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Dave"
Dave

Score: 0
  • Dave
  • Posted: Mar 26, 2012
  • Score: 0
Man, you are way over complicating this. "Context sensitive phone" is just wayyyyy to techy. David Allen has addressed this many times of folks who focus on the gadgets/tech and not the philosophy of it. It is like reading about people who want to start GTD and they type in the 5 main contexts into their Toodledo (of whatever tool they have) and then figure out how to use them. Instead of doing a brain dump and assembing your projects and next actions. All you need to know is what do you need to do next. Once you complete that you don't need the software to figure out the next task and how many minutes it will take to complete, and how you will be notified by 6 sources (Wuph for you Office fans). You just look at the project in your weekly review and decide. Proximo has the most read system here and he really only had 2 contexts and never used status, locations, etc. Steve Jobs shared this philosophy in a great clip I saw the other day - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-tKLISfPE
Dave

Posted Mar 23, 2012 in: Google chrome extension
Score: 1
  • Dave
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2012
  • Score: 1
The app is pretty good overall. Doesn't work well for me since the text you clip is the actual task rather I would like to have it be the note area of the task. Wish I was able to change that.
Dave

Posted Mar 22, 2012 in: Google chrome extension
Score: -1
  • Dave
  • Posted: Mar 22, 2012
  • Score: -1
That app looks great, will give it a try.
Dave

Posted Mar 20, 2012 in: Google chrome extension
  • Dave
  • Posted: Mar 20, 2012
I would also be interested to know if Toodledo is considering making an official extension for Chrome. I love the FF one, but use Chrome much more. Thanks
Dave

• Dave
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2012
I have the David Allen book on Outlook and GTD and does a great job of explaining how to do solve this. If you want to adhere to the "gospel" of David Allen, project lists don't need to be looked at until your weekly review. During the week you should be able to work off of your context lists.

The reason for this is that it is very hard to stick to your system when you have to depend on your context AND project views (I know this from experience, it is easier said than done).

For your weekly review one idea is to have a project keyword within your tasks. Then when you want to view the full project just type that keyword in the search and it will bring up all of the tasks with that word while displaying their category or context.

Hope that helps, but it is VERY VERY easy to over complicate the system
Dave

Posted Mar 09, 2012 in: After reading "The Checklist Manifesto"
  • Dave
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2012
I haven't found anything that syncs with Listpro. Agree that 70% of entry needs to be done on the PC. I haven't anyone who long term works off of their phone, especially for the weekly review. I am sticking with Evernote for now. Very tempted to get List Master since the web client looks nice and the iOS version has had rave reviews for years.

Another aspect that is high on my list is the future probability of the app. Evernote has serious funding and supports every platform out there. I wouldn't be surprised if some great list apps come out for it soon. There is a GTD app in production called ZenDone and there was a great app before on iOS called Egretlist (Evenote purchased the company so maybe they will develop it more). Overall, it is very unlikely I will be stuck without their capability in the future. Love using their desktop client too. Toodledo is in a similar situation, they have a large userbase and developed my multiple people full time. If I move to a different platform, odds are very good for a Toodledo client. Lastpass is another app I would lump into this group of great support.
Dave

Posted Mar 08, 2012 in: After reading "The Checklist Manifesto"
  • Dave
  • Posted: Mar 08, 2012
Thanks for posting Nathan. The guy who wrote Bonsai has written an app called Outliner for Android that will sync with it soon. Have you tried it yet? Look for Outliner by Alfred Fritz in the market. I remember seeing Bonsai back in my Palm days but never used it since I had Listpro.
Dave

Posted Mar 02, 2012 in: After reading "The Checklist Manifesto"
  • Dave
  • Posted: Mar 02, 2012
I have tried mylife organized but it never felt right. It is in the middle of list/tasks app but doesn't do either well for me. It has a lot of capability and some people swear by it.

I agree that Evernote doesn't feel perfect. My "lists" have become notes more often than lists, but it does ok so far. I felt more organized with Listpro, the layout was pleasing. Since it has such a big following I wouldn't be surprised if someone develops an app that uses Evernote as a backend and is a list app.

As far as groceries my wife and I have used OurGroceries for over a year now and it syncs perfect. I have it on android and ipod touch, while she uses it on Blackberry. It is simple and excellent (oh and free!).

As far as the limitation of screens, the part that bugs me more is when you bring up your list and then your keyboard pops up and takes up half of the screen. It never bothers me with other apps, just the list ones. That is the only time I miss a real keyboard.

Overall Palm was an excellent system. David Allen did a great tutorial on just using the basic tools for excellent GTD. It was very fast. Listpro was just icing on the cake.I had it on my old WinMo phone, but I think it was better on Palm (just like Agendus, best PIM app).

I am surprised that Listmaster doesn't have a trial. I found a recent video review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rO6_RuDkUI and it looks promising.
Dave

• Dave
Thanks for suggesting mylists (its called mylists and databases in the android market). This looks like it will be a great tool for reference lists.
Dave

Posted Mar 02, 2012 in: After reading "The Checklist Manifesto"
Score: 2
  • Dave
  • Score: 2
Nathan, I completely agree with your post. You used Listpro for the exact stuff that I did. I have emailed Ilium a couple of times about its future but get one sentence answers, which is frustrating. The company pretty much cut off communication with the outside world a couple of years ago when they were having issues getting listpro for ios out and it took a LOT longer than they had anticipated. Very sad. Listmaster is the app that most people have replaced it with, but I loved the desktop app of Listpro. Reference lists are excellent there. Now I use Evernote for most of this stuff (even packing lists and things like that) but it isn't the same. I use it since I can easily add hyperlinks or link other Evernote notes. Very easy to use bullet points or checkboxes. You can even add tables (I use this for my auto maintenance and then use a note link to the receipt, also saved within Evernote.

I have used Wunderlist but never liked it. It is a bit too simple for what I need, it is a task app, not a list one. Keep me updated if you try any good apps.

This message was edited Mar 02, 2012.
Dave

• Dave
Sorry I meant on iphone and ipad
Dave

• Dave
Just realized that Evernote links work perfect in both of the iOS apps! This is great news. Hope that one of the Android apps and the web client implement it soon.
Dave

Posted Feb 23, 2012 in: After reading "The Checklist Manifesto"
  • Dave
  • Posted: Feb 23, 2012
Very happy to find this thread. Loved the book and don't feel that Toodledo is great for checklists. I loved Listpro http://www.iliumsoft.com/listpro and used it a great deal on my old Windows Mobile phone. They released an iphone app but no Android one, and don't seem too excited about expanding the platform. It really is excellent app and hope they do keep developing it. The only other checklist app that I have seen a lot of excitement is Listmaster http://www.onlinelistmaster.com/screenshots.aspx which does have an Android app and iOS. Anyone use it for their checklists? I have been using Evernote for this type of info, but it isn't great for lists. Sure you can have checkboxes, but I wouldn't say it is great for lists.
Dave

• Dave
  • Posted: Feb 23, 2012
I am a huge fan of Listpro too and wish they had an Android app. Most folks whom I have spoken to have jumped to Listmaster as the closest thing to ListPro. They have iOS and Android apps. http://www.onlinelistmaster.com/screenshots.aspx

As much as I like Toodledo, it can't replace that app. I have been using Evernote for my info/lists, but it isn't a replacement at all.
Dave

Posted Jan 25, 2012 in: TaskAngel Subtasks and Syncing
  • Dave
  • Posted: Jan 25, 2012
Taskangel is a 3rd party app, so for support I would contact them directly at www.taskangel.com. My guess is that since you don't have a premium account subtasks will sync as normal tasks, which then syncs back to Taskangel as normal tasks. Use the 7 day trial and see how you like it. For question 1 you can only have one level of subtasks in both Taskangel and Toodledo.
Dave

Posted Jan 10, 2012 in: Sub-subtasks
  • Dave
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I have been using an excellent app for sharing grocery lists. Its called Ourgroceries which is free and on BB, iOS, and Android. It is free or there is an ad free version you can pay for (I don't think there is a functionality difference). VERY simple and haven't had a problem with it in a year of using (we use all 3 platforms).
Dave

• Dave
  • Posted: Dec 28, 2011
Would love to have the ability to click Evernote links. Works excellent in remember the milk, but dig Toodledo more. If this was implemented would third party apps need to add support for it in mobile or would it just work right away?
Dave

Posted Aug 13, 2011 in: Why not full GTD support?
  • Dave
  • Posted: Aug 13, 2011
Posted by reedj:
Terry, if you go to http://www.toodledo.com/tools/index.php you'll see an option for setting up an email address to which you can send tasks. You use certain syntax (@,#,*, etc.) in front of the context, name of the task, etc. This all goes in the subject of the email and the syntax will tell TD exactly what to do with the task (context, which folder, due date, etc.). The key is at http://www.toodledo.com/info/help_email.php.

Just to jump in this conversation. One VERY cool thing in Gmail (if you happen to use it for your email) is that when you are viewing an email, the current web address is a direct link to that email. So many times I will copy the link and put it in the body of the email and send it to Toodledo. Then I can jump right to the email if I need to respond. The coolest part is that even if you label or archive the mail, it work with that same link.
Dave

Posted Aug 13, 2011 in: Planning your day
  • Dave
I do the "weekly review" a couple of times during the week, or even once a day sometimes. David Allen says he does the same thing. Try to set aside one time of the week, where you really go through everything and make sure you are on track and you can plan a bit in the future. For my daily hotlist, I use stars. Since there are many next action tasks, this is the best way to really filter out the most important. Other than the stars I am working off my context lists. I find that if I don't stick to these two areas, and I try to work off folders as well, the system gets a bit overwhelming. David Allen recommends working off your context lists and after experience, it works well for me to.

Initially when things were paper based, you didn't have projects with items underneath. Just a one page project list and all actions were written in their contexts.

Hope that helps
Dave

Posted Aug 13, 2011 in: Outlook
  • Dave
You will need to sync Outlook with Toodledo and then you can get tasks on your ipad with the Toodledo App or any other 3rd party one. Look in the tools section of the website for some like gsyncit or I used to use this one which is free. Not sure if it is still compatible http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/software/ToodledoSyncInfo.aspx
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next