ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Linden"
Linden

Posted Jan 18, 2010 in: Share the History list?
Score: 0
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 18, 2010
  • Score: 0
Weird... my reply didn't seem to get posted.

You can view your completed tasks by clicking the "History" link on the sidebar.

An alternate method is to setup a custom search. I have one saved as "Done today" with the settings "Checked off = YES" and "Completed Date = today".

I hope this helps!
Linden

Posted Jan 18, 2010 in: Set task biweekly on tues
  • Linden
Working from memory here, but I believe if you use "Every 2nd Tues" it will do what you want.
Linden

• Linden
That would be a nice tweak!

You can get back to the main list pretty quickly by clicking "Toodle Forums" at the top of the page, in the meantime.
Linden

Posted Jan 17, 2010 in: Sort goals like sort folders?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 17, 2010
I like this idea. I'd actually love to see folder setup sorting applied to status (with custom names like the folders) and context as well as goals!
Linden

Posted Jan 17, 2010 in: Sort by Task isn't working
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 17, 2010
Hmm. I never thought to test first -- I get the same behaviour.

If I try:
Tag -> Task/Subtask -> Alphabetical
The dividers mark the tag breakdown (as expected), the parent tasks top each list (as expected), but then only the subtasks are sorted alphabetically. The parent tasks are left in what appears to be random order.

If I use this instead:
Tag > Alphabetical > Task/Subtask
Everything works pretty much as you might expect, but renders the Task/Subtask sort useless. Everything is sorted alphabetically and Task/Subtask is used as a tie-breaker if two items happen to have the same name.
Linden

Posted Jan 16, 2010 in: Sort by Task isn't working
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 16, 2010
I see what's happening here. Currently, you've got the sort order set to:
Tag -> Task/Subtask -> Auto

"Task/Subtask" identifies whether the task is a parent or subtask. It actually doesn't sort by the title at all.
I'm not sure exactly how "Auto" sorts but it can appear somewhat random.

If you want the parents at the top (which is what Task/Subtask is achievign), but also want them organized alphabetically, set the sort order to:
Tag -> Task/Subtask -> Alphabetical

Cheers!

[Edited for clarity.]

This message was edited Jan 16, 2010.
Linden

Posted Jan 16, 2010 in: Hotlist is missing tasks, why
  • Linden
Try setting "Subtasks" to "Flattened". This option is just above the todo list, on the same line as "Show/Hide Notes" and "Open/Close Dividers".
Linden

Posted Jan 16, 2010 in: Weekly review - how do you all do it?
  • Linden
@DaveShep: Thanks for sharing that amazing setup. I have LONG struggled with staying on top of my e-mail next actions, so thank you for mentioning that you're using Toodledo for that.

I had toyed with e-mailing myself tasks a while back, but couldn't get the hang of it. Inspired by your post, I'm trying again.

@mike: Thanks for starting this thread. I still struggle with the Weekly Review.

At the moment, my "Weekly Review" (which happens every 7-14 days) is mainly a scan of existing tasks (active and future). I check off the odd one that was missed, delete irrelevant tasks, promote "someday"s to active tasks (or vice versa) as needed, and try to make sure the active projects have the next steps sufficiently identified.

Stuff gets overlooked sometimes, and I rarely have a chance to really delve into the project folders to do the planning portion of the weekly review. I also need improvement with the brain-dump and be-creative parts of the review!

It's helpful to see how the others are approaching this vital part of GTD!
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Jan 13, 2010
@Joshua: I'm glad to have provided food for thought. Your point about resistance to the extra steps is very reasonable.

David Allen points out many times in the book that your system doesn't need to have a particular form -- but you have to enjoy it. If you're resisting the system, you'll avoid it and be left unable to trust it.

That's happening to me a lot with my e-mail and physical objects. General tasks are easy for me, because I love playing with Toodledo, even if it isn't perfect. (Like David's many references to playing with his PalmPDA.) But my e-mail box is like a dark den that I avoid. :)

I know Toodledo has stuff like auto-sequencing on its todo list to implement someday, but their feature wishlist is really long. If you can find your perfect (or near-perfect) solution sooner, more power to you!
Linden

Posted Jan 12, 2010 in: Auto-delete of notes
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 12, 2010
Todos are only auto-deleted after they have been checked off. An item that is still unchecked can stay there indefinitely. As such, I would imagine that a note would stay on the server until you delete it.

That's just a guess, though. You might still want an official response from Toodledo, or an answer from a non-pro user who has experience with it.

EDIT: My answer assumed you're referring to notes in the Notebook part of the site. If you have a checked-off todo that has a note attached, that note would be deleted whenever the todo got deleted.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010.
Linden

Posted Jan 12, 2010 in: Task emailing + Permalinks
  • Linden
@saskia.x: What an awesome idea! That's a fantastic workaround to inderdependency while Toodledo works on building the feature.
Linden

• Linden
@Joshua

I've never used the other programs, so I can't give any input on using one tool over another. If you're feeling frustrated, it can't hurt to check out what the others have to offere, though.

However, I noted your comment about having no "Next Action" view. Have you thought about using the Status field, and marking the next action for each project there?

That would let you look at the "View by: Status" and click "Next Action" to see only the next actions you've identified. It also has the benefit of saving your preferred sort order, so you wouldn't need to redo it every time like the custom search.

Just an idea -- it may or may not work for you, but could be worth trying.

Cheers!
Linden

Posted Jan 11, 2010 in: "Tasks" field stuck to zero
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2010
You're welcome, Yannis! Your "total tasks assigned" column is a good idea.

For now, another way to see those stats could be to go to "View by: Goal" -> "All goals". If you sort by goal first, each divider will state how many tasks are assigned to each (within the filter settings).

The task count for a lifetime task won't auto-include counts for related long-term/short-term tasks, like it does for the completed tally, but you'll still have an idea of which goals you've identified steps for, and which might be getting neglected.
Linden

Posted Jan 11, 2010 in: Task emailing + Permalinks
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2010
Permanent link gives you a URL to link directly to the task.

So, if you want to send yourself an e-mail about a task, you can link directly to it, rather than linking the main site and then having to search for it.

You could also bookmark the task's permanent link, if you want quick access. This could be useful for big projects that you want to reference frequently, to help you focus on just that one task without facing distractions from the other things on your list.
Linden

Posted Jan 10, 2010 in: "Tasks" field stuck to zero
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2010
The number of tasks listed next to the goal (on the Goals management page) is the number of tasks COMPLETED for that goal. So it should continue saying zero until you complete something.

The tally doesn't apply retroactively, so if you assign a previously-completed task to a new goal, it won't be included in the tally. (That part may be a bug.)
Linden

Posted Jan 09, 2010 in: How do I re-order my list manually?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2010
Manual sorting for ALL tasks has only been under consideration for about a month.

Until it was implemented for subtasks late last year, all of the requests for the feature had been for it to be enabled for subtasks. Nobody had indicated any interest in having manual sorting for independent tasks until the update applying it to subtasks was already released.

Given the current demand for the feature to be extended to all tasks, I'm sure Toodledo is working toward an updated solution. I don't think it's at all unreasonable that they follow their usual protocol regarding release announcements.
Linden

Posted Jan 07, 2010 in: Default View in Firefox
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 07, 2010
I don't know about others, but I hadn't seen this post before now.

To change the default view, you should be able to just click "Account Settings" on the left menu, then click the edit button next to "Default view" in the second box of options. I've had no problem with it in Firefox 3.0.x or 3.5.x

If you've already done this and still have problems, you might want to submit a support ticket.
Linden

Posted Jan 05, 2010 in: Are the Chains 60 Days?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jan 05, 2010
Hey Quang. I agree -- the chains certainly help keep me motivated and on track! They display the activity on that goal over the past 30 days.
Linden

Posted Jan 05, 2010 in: Goals: How do you use them?
  • Linden
Hey Michael,

I enjoy using the goals screen, but still need to get it sorted out a bit more smoothly. Your proposed goal setup looks great to me -- I'm going to use it for inspiration!

The chain view is merged with the goals screen that you access on the left sidebar. Just before the notes icon for each goal is a little chain link icon. If you click that, a bar is revealed under the goal, which shows a little chain-link for each day in the past 30 days that a task related to that goal was completed.

For your short-term goals, the chain link will appear for each day a task was completed that was associated with that short-term goal. For long-term and lifetime goals, the chain link will appear for tasks directly associated with the goal AND for any tasks associated with goals that contribute to that goal.

So, from your example tasks, "Wash my car" contributes to the "Take care of my car" short-term goal. When you check it off, you'll get a chain link added on that day for the "Take care of my car" goal, your "My stewardship" goal, and your "Family" goal.

All the best for 2010!
Linden

Posted Jan 05, 2010 in: 2009 In Review
  • Linden
Thanks so much for building this amazing tool.

I bought a simple Palm PDA two years ago, to help implement GTD, but it turned out not to be flexible or powerful enough.

I can't recall how I discovered Toodledo last February, but it's been brilliant! Not only is it an incredibly handy tool for implementing GTD, but it's got enough flexibility to accommodate shifts in my setup whenever I reach a new understanding of GTD that calls for updates.

All the best for 2010!
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11      Next