ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Linden"
Linden

Posted Nov 22, 2009 in: Hidden options or Im blind? :P
Score: 0
  • Linden
  • Posted: Nov 22, 2009
  • Score: 0
If you go to the account settings, do a search for "Show Tab Counts". Enabling that will give you the number of items belonging to each tab like you saw in the video.

Cheers!
Linden

Posted Nov 18, 2009 in: Start Date Confusion
  • Linden
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2009
Sorry if my post added to the confusion. I just realized today that it does still let in taskes with a blank in the date field. Glad to hear entering "today" now works intuitively!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009.
Linden

Posted Nov 17, 2009 in: Start Date Confusion
  • Linden
  • Posted: Nov 17, 2009
My experience with that fix was that it hard-coded the date and became useless after the day the search was created. (Maybe that is working better now.)

The other downside is that it will also display any task without a due date, because that technically is stored as a very early date (Jan 1, 1900, I think).

What I do with start dates in searches would probably work well with due dates:
================
Due Date "is in the next" 0 days //to match today//
OR
Due Date "is not in the next" 1000 days //to exclude future dates//
================

This excludes blank and future due dates (unless you have items due over 3 years from now -- play with that figure as needed, then).
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Nov 06, 2009
No problem, Mark! I think I must have been very sleepy when responding, because I failed to note that you were specifically noting the issue for nested tasks. Somehow I thought you might have missed the other views available.

Your issue seems fair, and it sounds like ToodleDo is planning to get the feature you're looking for at some point. Unfortunately, they don't post anticipated timelines, so you're not likely to get any more info there.

Cheers!
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Nov 05, 2009
Hey Mark,

If ou're looking for tasks due today, try using the "Flattened" view. That will make everything flat, and bring the subtasks due today to the top of your list.

Hope this helps!
Linden

Posted Nov 04, 2009 in: Getting Things "Web" Done
  • Linden
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2009
Wow, thanks for sharing this, Lance! I'm going to have to read the rest of the interview later -- it's going on my task list!
Linden

Posted Sep 18, 2009 in: Goals: How do you use them?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Sep 18, 2009
@benny - Thanks for the babbling! It's awesome to read how different people implement their systems. There's often a nugget that can be used to further streamline my own.
Linden

• Linden
Good point. I missed the fact that the original poster didn't have a pro membership.

@yony120: If you get a Pro membership, you can have subtasks. Most GTDers are using the parent task as the project and subtasks for the steps.

At the moment, there's no way to manually order the steps among those subtasks, and it's a common request that I assumed you were referring to.

The workaround I use (when order is important) is to simply put a number at the beginning of the task name.

I'm a Pro member and definitely found the $15 (annual) fee to be well worth it, considering the impact it had compared to a similar amount spent on entertainment (just as an example).

This message was edited Sep 18, 2009.
Linden

Score: 2
  • Linden
  • Score: 2
Unfortunately, Toodledo never comments on timelines.

I'm sure this due to the difficulty in predicting complicated programming tasks. It's so easy to discover a snag right after you decide the perfect solution has presented itself.

Task dependencies will require a major change to the structure of tasks in relation to one another. Not only must a task know whether it is standalone, a parent, or a subtask (and which parent/subtask it is linked to), but will now need to know its relationship to OTHER subtasks. Add on top of that ensuring that the user interface for managing this is easy and doesn't interfere with other features.

Toodledo is definitely aware of how high a priority it is, and I'm sure they're trying to get it to us as soon as possible.
Linden

Posted Sep 18, 2009 in: Toodledo for ADD
  • Linden
Hi Hirshleff,

While I don't have ADD, I do sometimes use the scheduler when my concentration is low and I can't decide on my own what to do.

Since you (I) don't care which order they are done in, the trick is to treat it like an ordered list. Just start with the one listed first. When it's done, do the next one (or re-run the scheduler).

Doing this helps me buckle down and do what's needed when my brain has other ideas.

I hope this idea helps you, too.
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Sep 15, 2009
@IceHeartX: I totally agree that it can't hurt to submit the feature request. I didn't intent to imply that it was a terrible suggestion -- simply thought you might have missed the hover-to-delete feature. Sorry for any offense!

@Anders: Thanks for pointing out that the pop-ups might not work from some interfaces like older browsers -- and that it's inconvenient with handheld devices. I'm using the latest Firefox on a standard monitor, so these things don't always come to mind!
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Sep 15, 2009
I can see the point for the note icon, but the trash functionality already exists on the left side.

If you hover over the checkbox, a menu pops up where "delete task" is an option.
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Hey JF,

I posted this to the other thread under "tips & tricks", but since this is the live copy I'll repost it here to prevent fragmenting the discussion again.

----------------
It might be worth contacting your local police department and running the idea past them.

They are likely to be more familiar with tracking options available, and may be willing to work with you in getting the info you need to hunt down the iPod.

In particular, since you've got the IP, they may have the authority to contact the ISP it belongs to and track the customer.

Best of luck!
Linden

• Linden
Thanks Anders. I was catching up on the forums bottom to top and found the active thread a moment ago. :)
Linden

Posted Sep 11, 2009 in: Working with many tasks
  • Linden
Hey stu,

My interim solution for task dependency is to prefix each subtask in a project with the number of it's step in the sequence. That way it's easy to pick the next step out of the list of other subtasks and mark as your next step.

I don't know how this will work on the iPhone, since I haven't got one. I don't imagine it would be much more of an effort than through the website, though.

Hope this helps for now!
Linden

Posted Sep 11, 2009 in: Print graphs
  • Linden
Thanks for the idea, Anders! I've long been wanting to see the bar chart by context rather than folder, and using the CSV export is a fantastic solution!
Linden

• Linden
It might be worth contacting your local police department and running the idea past them.

They are likely to be more familiar with tracking options available, and may be willing to work with you in getting the info you need to hunt down the iPod.

Best of luck!
Linden

Posted Sep 02, 2009 in: Nested subtasks and other updates.
  • Linden
  • Posted: Sep 02, 2009
Oh. For some reason those last two messages gave me the impression it was working now, but he wasn't sure what had changed. Not sure why my brain isn't connecting the dots on this one!
Linden

Posted Sep 02, 2009 in: Nested subtasks and other updates.
  • Linden
  • Posted: Sep 02, 2009
Posted by benny:
@Linden - the parent task was starred. I stated that but it might not have been completely clear.

Wow. I must have read the line for the parent task at least 10 times before posting, and STILL read "unstarred" or "not starred". I'm glad the others were able to figure it out for you!
Linden

Posted Sep 01, 2009 in: Nested subtasks and other updates.
  • Linden
  • Posted: Sep 01, 2009
Posted by benny:
I have the following search for personal tasks to be done in the next 7 days:

Checked Off = No
And
Priority is 3 - Top
Or Starred = Yes
Or Due Date is in the last 999 days
Or Due Date is in the next 7 days
And
Context is not @Work

I created a Parent Task with no due date, no context and starred. I created a child Task with a due date of today, a context of @Home and not starred.

The parent task doesn't match the "priority or star or date" part of the search. "No date" is treated like "Jan 1 1900" or something similarly far outside "past 999 days" for the purposes of searches. The parent task isn't starred, and doesn't appear to have a priority of 3. So, it isn't going to match that block.

The child matches, because the due date is today -- which is within the last 999 days.

Usually instead of "due date in the last X-long days", I'll use "due date is NOT in next X-long days". That way any date in the past will match, including tasks with no due date. Technically if you plan tasks due many years in advance it might cause problems, but I've been safe using 1000 days (~3 years).
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11      Next