ForumsNewsToodledo's iPhone app has been updated.

Toodledo's iPhone app has been updated.
gui

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Congratulations!

love all the new functions but I particularly like the new resizable fonts. I purchased ToDo (an outstanding app) mostly because the size of the Toodledo app were too small. I do, however love the simplicity of Toodledo app, reminiscing of the early Palm apps. I need simplicity. I work in code all day (software developer). The last thing I need is to complicate my apps with more functions. Your app is easy to use, easy to read, perfect for me.

Now, being able to add telephone, email and website in the note and working flawslessly with iPhone's native apps is just the icing on an already excellent app.

Entering tasks is so much fater and simpler than before.

I cannot comment on reminders and allarms since I haven't tried them but I will write a review as soon as I figure it out. I was under the impression that alarms could only be entered through the web app, am I right or is are the notification from the iPhone via email only?

Thanks

This message was edited Jul 02, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Because of delays in various parts of the system (both ours and Apple's), we cannot make the reminder show up at exactly the correct time. It will be plus or minus 5 minutes in most cases.
Murphy Cruises

Do you need a Pro account to use Push Notifications?
Anders

Anyone can use push notifications, but you get more options with a Pro account. Here is how you set them up: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=85
Anders

Posted by gui:
I cannot comment on reminders and allarms since I haven't tried them but I will write a review as soon as I figure it out. I was under the impression that alarms could only be entered through the web app, am I right or is are the notification from the iPhone via email only?

I am not clear about what you are asking, but reminders can be set for tasks from the website or the iPhone app once they are activated. You can receive email and SMS reminders on your iPhone, but now you can also receive iPhone specific popup push notifications as well.
gui

Posted by Anders:
You can receive email and SMS reminders on your iPhone,
Right. I was already receiving that. but my question goes more closely related to:

but now you can also receive iPhone specific popup push notifications as well.

This is what I thought could only be done through the web app. Let's suppose I create a new task in my iPhone and set the due date and time. Will it work from the iPhone or must I go to the web app to make it work?
Murphy Cruises

Posted by Anders:
Anyone can use push notifications, but you get more options with a Pro account. Here is how you set them up: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=85

To get remote notifications follow these steps:

1.Install or upgrade to version 1.5 of our iPhone App. This requires iPhone OS 3.0 to already be installed. THIS IS ALREADY DONE ON MY IPOD TOUCH
2.Launch Toodledo on your iPhone. DID THIS
3.If it isn't already setup, configure synchronization. ALREADY SETUP
4.When it asks about remote notifications, click "Allow". You may need to quit and relaunch Toodledo on the iPhone. NEVER SAW THIS
5.Go to Toodledo.com and go to the Import/Export/Sync section. Click on "Reminders/Alarms". DO NOT SEE REMINDERS/ALARMS ANYWHERE
6.Confirm that "iPhone" is selected as one of your reminder slots. WHERE?

I am unable to find Reminders/Alarms so cannot set this up.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Murphy,

The "Reminders/Alarms" section is the last box in the "Popular Connections" section on the Import/Export/Sync page. Here is the direct link.

If your iPhone never asked you to allow remote notifications, try going into the "Settings" app and tap on "Notifications" and see if they are turned on, and if there is a section for Toodledo under that make sure they are turned on there as well.

Hope that helps.
Murphy Cruises

Posted by Toodledo:
Murphy,

The "Reminders/Alarms" section is the last box in the "Popular Connections" section on the Import/Export/Sync page. Here is the direct link.

If your iPhone never asked you to allow remote notifications, try going into the "Settings" app and tap on "Notifications" and see if they are turned on, and if there is a section for Toodledo under that make sure they are turned on there as well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your help. I did manage to find the "Reminders/Alarms" but the only options are "None," "SMS" and "Email." I did upgrade to 3.0 on my iPod but I don't see any "Notifications" option under "Settings." What am I doing wrong.
nrcapes

I have 1.5 installed on my ipod touch with ow 3.0. There is no "remote notification" option that I can find in toodledo on the iphone, although I have set up iphone as the device to be notified in toodledo.com.

Posted by Toodledo:
The new app requires iPhone 3.0. We thought it would be backwards compatible, but apparently this isn't possible with the 3.0 stuff that we added.

As for "iPhone" not showing up, this is probably because you have not yet enabled remote notifications on the iPhone yet. Try this help topic.
nrcapes

"Notifications" is under Settings on the ipod touch, right under WI-FI. I agree that the instructions from toodledo are misleading. The iphone then needs to be configured as a reminder slot at toodledo.com under Import/Export/Sunch.

Posted by Murphy Cruises:
[quote]Posted by Anders:

<DIV class=quote>Anyone can use push notifications, but you get more options with a Pro account. Here is how you set them up: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=85[/quote]

To get remote notifications follow these steps:

1.Install or upgrade to version 1.5 of our iPhone App. This requires iPhone OS 3.0 to already be installed. THIS IS ALREADY DONE ON MY IPOD TOUCH
2.Launch Toodledo on your iPhone. DID THIS
3.If it isn't already setup, configure synchronization. ALREADY SETUP
4.When it asks about remote notifications, click "Allow". You may need to quit and relaunch Toodledo on the iPhone. NEVER SAW THIS
5.Go to Toodledo.com and go to the Import/Export/Sync section. Click on "Reminders/Alarms". DO NOT SEE REMINDERS/ALARMS ANYWHERE
6.Confirm that "iPhone" is selected as one of your reminder slots. WHERE?

I am unable to find Reminders/Alarms so cannot set this up.[/quote]
Anders

When you first open the iPhone app, it should ask you if you want to allow notifications. After you click yes, and sync with the site, iPhone should appear as an option on the Toodledo reminder configuration page. I am pretty sure you can also set it up through the iPhone settings (not the Toodledo app settings, but the main iPhone settings), but I did it through the popup dialogue so I am not 100% sure.
Anders

Posted by gui:
This is what I thought could only be done through the web app. Let's suppose I create a new task in my iPhone and set the due date and time. Will it work from the iPhone or must I go to the web app to make it work?

Well, you must also set a reminder along with the due date/time unless you have your reminders set to apply to every task. Whichever reminder type(s) you have set up, you will receive those notifications regardless of whether the task was created in the app or on the website.
Murphy Cruises

Posted by Anders:
When you first open the iPhone app, it should ask you if you want to allow notifications. After you click yes, and sync with the site, iPhone should appear as an option on the Toodledo reminder configuration page. I am pretty sure you can also set it up through the iPhone settings (not the Toodledo app settings, but the main iPhone settings), but I did it through the popup dialogue so I am not 100% sure.

OK, just reread the original post. I have Toodledo on my iPod Touch but I am assuming that I must purchase the new 1.5.0 update for the PN to work? One other question, will Toodledo ever go to a full calendar? I really dislike the calendar wheel thing...I make due date boo-boos with that all the time and I am thinking of changing to another task manager just because of this.
Anders

You do need the new Toodledo app update to get notifications, but if you already have the app, then the update should be free. You also need to have iPhone OS 3.0. I can't answer your question about the date picker because I am merely a forum moderator, and have no inside info on development, but I also dislike the scrolly wheel. Toodledo has already removed it from a couple of places in the app, and I am hoping that will continue.
Murphy Cruises

Posted by Anders:
You do need the new Toodledo app update to get notifications, but if you already have the app, then the update should be free. You also need to have iPhone OS 3.0. I can't answer your question about the date picker because I am merely a forum moderator, and have no inside info on development, but I also dislike the scrolly wheel. Toodledo has already removed it from a couple of places in the app, and I am hoping that will continue.

The update just came in and it works now...thank you so much for your help and your patience with me.

This message was edited Jul 02, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 03, 2009
A lot of people are having difficulty and confusion with getting remote notifications to work. It does take a minute to setup, and our initial instructions were unclear, so I apologize for that.

This help topic explains how to do it in detail, but I'll summarize here.

1) You need Toodledo version 1.5.
2) You need to setup synchronization between the iPhone and Toodledo.com.
3) You need to click "Allow" when the iPhone asks you about remote notifications. If it doesn't ask you, close and re-open the app on the iPhone. If it still doesn't ask you, go into Apple's general "Settings" app and make sure that Notifications are enabled.
4) Go to the reminders page here on Toodledo and make sure that "iPhone" is in one of your reminder slots.
5) Give a task a due-date, a due-time and click the "remind me" checkbox. Make sure that the reminder is scheduled for a future time.
6) Wait for your iPhone to beep.

I promise that it does work, it just takes a little understanding and a little setup.
ammar

The update is really annoying if someone just wishes to use Wifi. If I add a task (offline) it wont let me edit details and tells me to wait until the sync is complete. Why would a todo app tell you to wait? The whole interface should allow for speedy insertion, no questions asked.

Also, why show an alert if a sync is unsuccessful? Just sync it next time, show a little red box or something to indicate that data is out of sync.. Why popup a box? Why not make it an option? Making such intrusive changes really decreases the end user experience. Not sure if I can roll back to previous versions,
Jake

Toodledo Founder
ammar,

Can you please create a support ticket and explain what steps you are taking and what error message you are getting. It isn't clear from your post how you are working offline and why that error message is appearing for you.

Thanks
KatBoy

I'm getting the same thing on the updated app - when loaded the "sundial" appears for several seconds and it's not possible to edit tasks, message says wait until the sync is complete.

I thought it was performing an actual sync (but tested and it's not) but the new app is doing something when first loaded. I have mine set to manual sync so it's not clear what it's doing but it is very annoying - my O2 network can be very slow which is why I prefer to do things manually in my own time.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.