ForumsNewsToodledo's iPhone app has been updated.

Toodledo's iPhone app has been updated.
dr.aarong

Posted: Jul 11, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
ToodleDo is a good way to keep track of notes since the iPhone's notes app is so limited...so it's important to have efficient use of notes. I therefore recommend:
1) please allow us to touch the note text itself to go into edit mode (rather than having to reach up to "edit")
2) when in edit mode, please pop up keyboard immediately
3) when we hit "Save," please close the note (currently we have to hit "Done" after hitting "Save")
4) it would be great to have buttons that add bullet-like characters (eg, "*" and " -") since these are hard to do on the iphone keyboard! (Wouldn't mind true rich text editor, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth :) )
dr.aarong

Posted: Jul 11, 2009
May I recommend a date picker that uses a calendar (or a button that launches one) for selecting dates? We think of dates in a context of a calendar. A calendar that highlighted the current date and allowed the user to click on a date to use would provide the current functionality (the user already sees what "next week" is, etc) but also allow more flexibility with other dates!
Bjørn

Posted: Jul 12, 2009
This new update to the iPhone app changed the way you add new tasks.... and I can't get use to it....

I very often add notes to my tasks to remember what they are about but doing this on the iPhone is now a hassle....

After entering the task info I have to push "Add note" then an edit button.... Why can't I have it on the frontpage? and then a "Done" button at the top instead of a button on the top left going back to my hotlist....

Well hope the workflow off adding notes the the tasks will be easier with next update of the iPhone app...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for all the suggestions. We are continually working on improvements to make things better and will get onto our to-do list.
gui

To all those guys asking to eliminate the "Edit" and "Done" buttons in the notes take this into consideration:

If you had an immediate editing option upon touching the screen, you would not be
able to dial, email or visit a website. That's what happens in Appigo's To Do (an excellent app otherwise) If you touched the screen and it went into Edit mode immediately you could not use the call, email, website features.
tyrwhite

Posted: Jul 13, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
Spif, try going into the iPhone app and doing a sync. Then check the "reminders" section of this website and you should see the "iphone" option.

I'm having the same problem as spif. No "iphone" option under reminder/alerts even after reinstalling the app. Please help.
Anders

Did you follow these instructions to set things up from the iPhone side?
http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=85
Also, especially if you reinstalled the app, make sure your Toodledo login information is entered in the app settings.
jeff_richardson

I'm very happy with Toodledo, but with this latest version I seem to be experiencing gaps or lags in getting information to sync reliability bi-directionally. That is, I don't always see tasks added on my iPhone populate on Toodledo.com after a sync and vice versa.

Also, with the new app, if I have "sync at startup" selected, when I launch Toodledo on the iPhone and attempt to add a new task, I will repeatedly crash the app and have to restart. No error message or "wait until sync complete" - just bombs the app.

Thanks!
nrcapes

When the ipod touch with os 3.0 is turned off, there is no notification. The notification only shows up when the device is turned on. I do have notifications enabled in Settings on the device and on toodledo as the documentation states. I entered a task on the toodledo iphone 1.5.1 app with a due date for today and time one hour from now. It looks like the notification is sent from toodledo but does not display on the device until the device is turned on. And of course there is no sound because it does not display until the device is turned on.

Posted by Toodledo:
A lot of people are having difficulty and confusion with getting remote notifications to work. It does take a minute to setup, and our initial instructions were unclear, so I apologize for that.

This help topic explains how to do it in detail, but I'll summarize here.

1) You need Toodledo version 1.5.
2) You need to setup synchronization between the iPhone and Toodledo.com.
3) You need to click "Allow" when the iPhone asks you about remote notifications. If it doesn't ask you, close and re-open the app on the iPhone. If it still doesn't ask you, go into Apple's general "Settings" app and make sure that Notifications are enabled.
4) Go to the reminders page here on Toodledo and make sure that "iPhone" is in one of your reminder slots.
5) Give a task a due-date, a due-time and click the "remind me" checkbox. Make sure that the reminder is scheduled for a future time.
6) Wait for your iPhone to beep.

I promise that it does work, it just takes a little understanding and a little setup.
Anders

I have an iPod Touch, so I am not sure if iPhones work differently, but notifications should come through when the device is sleeping, but not when it is actually turned off (nothing could get through then), but only if your network connection is active while the device is sleeping.
Anders

Okay, I just noticed you said iPod Touch, and you are correct, but you will have to take up your complaint with Apple. Toodledo is using the only means Apple has provided for push notification which is to have reminders sent directly from the server. So with an iPod Touch, most of the time you will not recieve a notification while the device is sleeping because it shuts down its Wifi connection. There is really nothing that can be done about this except ask Apple to let apps run in the background.
J

Just downloaded and tested V1.5.1. Thanks very much for adding in the post-sync list updates, and the option for syncing after edits. Saves a ton of movement between screens, and is much more intuitive, at least for me. :-)
nrcapes

Posted: Jul 14, 2009
thanks. Good to know it's not a problem with toodledo, Notifications would be of little value to me during the day, anyway, when i'm away from WIFI. That also goes for synch on edit, which I have turned off.

Posted by Anders:
Okay, I just noticed you said iPod Touch, and you are correct, but you will have to take up your complaint with Apple. Toodledo is using the only means Apple has provided for push notification which is to have reminders sent directly from the server. So with an iPod Touch, most of the time you will not recieve a notification while the device is sleeping because it shuts down its Wifi connection. There is really nothing that can be done about this except ask Apple to let apps run in the background.
nrcapes

Ipod touch users with toodledo may be interested to know that if you use Apple's Remote application (for controlling itunes over wifi) and select "stay connected" under Settings in the Remote application, it looks like the ipod touch does not turn off wifi when it sleeps, so that remote notifications come through. I haven't thorougly tested this, but it seems to work. Now the problem is that the sound that plays when the notification comes through is too soft.

Posted by nrcapes:
[quote]thanks. Good to know it's not a problem with toodledo, Notifications would be of little value to me during the day, anyway, when i'm away from WIFI. That also goes for synch on edit, which I have turned off.

Posted by Anders:

<DIV class=quote>Okay, I just noticed you said iPod Touch, and you are correct, but you will have to take up your complaint with Apple. Toodledo is using the only means Apple has provided for push notification which is to have reminders sent directly from the server. So with an iPod Touch, most of the time you will not recieve a notification while the device is sleeping because it shuts down its Wifi connection. There is really nothing that can be done about this except ask Apple to let apps run in the background.[/quote][/quote]
Anders

Yes, that is true if you leave any Wifi-connected app running when the device goes to sleep (Pandora, Youtube, etc.), but the remote seems like it would be fairly easy to leave running.
Bjørn

Posted: Jul 15, 2009
The done / edit is just when you add a new task with note.... when I read the note on the task it should have the edit button at the top.... otherwise the problem you describe will happen....

Bjørn :)

Posted by gui:
To all those guys asking to eliminate the "Edit" and "Done" buttons in the notes take this into consideration:

If you had an immediate editing option upon touching the screen, you would not be
able to dial, email or visit a website. That's what happens in Appigo's To Do (an excellent app otherwise) If you touched the screen and it went into Edit mode immediately you could not use the call, email, website features.
sumuhan

Posted: Jul 16, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
sumuhan, You have done all the right steps. I don't know why it isn't working for you. Apple's Push network is very new, and I have heard that they have been having some issues with reliability. I don't know if that is the problem for you. All of my reminders have come through ok. Have you used any other Push enabled apps on your iPhone with success? It might be your iPhone.

I have done some more testing later. And I got quite a few reminders. I put up about 10 reminders on the same day and although most of them worked, two of them didn't. I have setup everything identically but I didn't get any alert for the last two reminders. So it seems to work most of the time but still not reliable enough. Are there any known reliability issues you are working on? Would the pro account give better reliability?
kevinsmith1211

I have recently added the update which is supposed to resolve the locking up problem but I am still experiencing it.

I have my IPhone set so as it does not synch on edits or on start up but I am still sometimes getting the message - 'Synch in Progress' - while this is active I cannot use the application. I don't want the application to ever synch except when I trigger it - how can I do this?

Also. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that you could set up repeating tasks to repeat based on the start date for a task. Now when I create a repeating task it defaults to due date - has something changed here?
Anders

I have no idea why your app would try to sync if you disabled automatic sync. Toodledo will have to explain that one.

You can set a task to repeat from Start Date on the website, but that option is not yet available in the iPhone app. If the task has both a Start Date and Due Date, then it makes no difference which you repeat from. Due Date has always been the default.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have not seen any errors on our end from the remote notifications. One we hand it off to Apple, it is their responsibility to deliver it and it should be noted that Apple does not guarantee delivery. I suspect that Apple may be having some issues since Push notifications is still a very new thing that they are sure to have bugs with. Nevertheless, I'll keep looking into it.

As for it still syncing when the app starts. It isn't actually syncing anything. What it is doing is registering for Push reminders. Per Apple's specifications, each time the app launches it must re-register for push reminders by requesting permission from Apple and then sending this permission slip to Toodledo. This is all that is happening when it launches if you have sync on startup disabled.

With regard to repeating tasks from the start-date. If a task does not have a due-date, it will be repeated from the start-date. If a task has neither a due-date nor a start-date, then it will be repeated from the completion date.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.