ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Linden"
Linden

Posted Oct 26, 2010 in: Don't delete *Dones* ??
Score: 0
  • Linden
  • Posted: Oct 26, 2010
  • Score: 0
What I like to do for this sort of thing is create a template parent task with subtasks, and mark it "reference". Then, for your example, when you're planning your vacation, you can clone the parent and everything's ready to use!
Linden

Posted Sep 17, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -1
  • Linden
  • Posted: Sep 17, 2010
  • Score: -1
I had been putting routine activities in my todo lists as well, until I stumbled across flylady.net. It seemed too cute/silly at first, but since it had recommended by a male whose accomplishments I admired, I gave it a shot. (I'm a female that shies away from overly cute, girly things. No judgement is intended toward women or those who DO like cute things. Just prepping those who might share my first impression.)

Anyway, the control journal is GREAT for setting up daily/weekly/monthly routines like taking out the garbage or mopping the floor.

Here's a link to the build-your-own guide: http://flylady.net/pages/cjmain.asp
And a link to the sample routines:http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Routines.asp

The awesome thing about this is that you no longer need to maintain these things in your todo program, so that becomes more effective at handling the one-off things in your life!

Edit: This was my response to the "what to do about repetitive tasks like taking out the garbage" question, in case this seemed like a non-sequitor!

This message was edited Sep 17, 2010.
Linden

Posted Sep 04, 2010 in: Repeat after X weekdays
  • Linden
  • Posted: Sep 04, 2010
Wouldn't "on the 2nd Sunday" result in it only appearing once per month? From what I understand of the original request, he's aiming for twice per month.

@gammon, what you're looking for doesn't exist yet. You can set it to every week on a particular day (e.g. repeat every Sun, from completion date), or every two weeks as you outlined in your option 2.
Linden

Posted Aug 27, 2010 in: Locations, Reverse Sort, and More
Score: 1
  • Linden
  • Posted: Aug 27, 2010
  • Score: 1
You make valid points Claudio. Especially that one about locations as currently implemented not really meeting the needs of those who had requested it. This is a rare instance where it might have been smarter to implement it for the iPhone first, since those are the users getting the most benefit from it.

I wasn't trying to suggest that the location feature was implemented because people were polite, but more that many people commenting here likely forgot about it because the original people requesting it hadn't reposted about it week after week.

Maybe I've been blinded by my optimism here. I've seen a lot of big features get implemented in the time I've been here. Some were really amazing (like manual sorting in subtasks -- before manual sorting in general had ever been suggested), and others not at all relevant to me (like every iPhone update).

So, while Jake doesn't give us any indication that he's currently actively working on those bigger projects on the list, I'm inclined to trust that he's picking at the ground work for them while moving some of the less complex projects forward. I probably shouldn't try to impose that trust on all the rest of you. :)
Linden

Posted Aug 27, 2010 in: Locations, Reverse Sort, and More
  • Linden
Posted by PeterW:
Posted by Linden:
Wow, so much hate! There actually HAD been a focused clammer for location-aware tasks for a while, and those users were polite enough to trust it was on the todo list and not hammer the forum with repeated requests.

I didn't read any of the above posts as "hate" but rather as disappointment because the maps didn't seem to be on the radar.

I was expecting this update to be a revamp of the collaboration & sharing features which get talked about a lot here (albeit something else I don't really need).

The things I am really hanging out for are:
* UI overhaul (drag & drop, manual sorting, nicer look)
* Task counts on search tabs
* More granular control over the Hotlist
* Additional options for parent-task/sub-task handling

I'm glad that there was a fix for the SMS message problem - it's the one thing I found useful in this update. I hope that there are more minor fixes on the way - sometimes a bunch of small improvements can make a lot of difference.

I guess that's true, Peter. It was just really astonishing to see so many "why why why this" messages. There were 2-3 posts of "this is a good start" followed by a bunch of "this is totally irrelevant". I agree that this update only hit two minor ones for me. Still, this is another 4-5 items off the development list (fuelled by user requests), including one big one, and my guess is that other big projects like collaboration and UI are being sketched right now.

If they want to do it right the first time, instead of tweaking it dramatically every 3 months, they need to map out the impacts and plan for how pieces of the puzzle interlock. There's always going to be someone who tries to use the system differently from the norm (or who won't want t use a feature), so they need to ensure the site doesn't blow up for those people. I get the sense that there's movement in those areas, but they simply aren't ready for release yet.

My concern is that when update posts like this one get weighed down with tons of negativity, motivation to work on other updates drops. Why bother? Nobody's satisfied when updates DO get completed. I'm sure it's not at that point, but it can be a slippery slope. With a project used by as many people as Toodledo, every update (no matter HOW useful) is going to only be a benefit to a minority of the users.

Constructive criticism is great, but let's keep in mind that continual forward motion is something we want to encourage. Otherwise you end up with a disconnect between creator and user, like what happened with RTM.
Linden

Posted Aug 27, 2010 in: Start Date, Due date & hotlist
  • Linden
It might be nice to at least have the show/hide future tasks filter apply to start dates in the hotlist. I can see situations where it would be important to be able to scan for ALL tasks due this week, or whatever the Hotlist range is.

Of course, there could be the argument that this is what the Due Date view is for, since there's a "next 7 days" tab that does this very nicely, saving the Hotlist for urgent tasks you can do something about NOW.
Linden

Posted Aug 26, 2010 in: Locations, Reverse Sort, and More
  • Linden
  • Posted: Aug 26, 2010
Wow, so much hate! There actually HAD been a focused clammer for location-aware tasks for a while, and those users were polite enough to trust it was on the todo list and not hammer the forum with repeated requests. Kudos to Toodledo for making it happen. It's not useful for me, but I expect it will make life a lot easier for those userw who wanted it (and others who hadn't considered it).

I LOVE the update to sorting, and the fact that the toolbars will remember if they're supposed to be open or closed. Those were both very frustrating for me and I'm glad to see improvement.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever's next on the list of things under way.
Linden

Posted Aug 10, 2010 in: Hide future tasks in a Saved Search
  • Linden
  • Posted: Aug 10, 2010
To work around that for now, you can use "Due date is today OR Due date is before today". It's a bit clunky, but it gets the job done. If you need to exclude items that don't have a due date specified, you can add in "AND due date is not NO DATE".

EDIT: Claudio's solution is better! I had been under the (false) impression that "tomorrow" would be saved as the specific date.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010.
Linden

Posted Jul 21, 2010 in: Completed Tasks
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2010
Is this a repeating task? If it was a repeating task that repeats by due date instead of by completion date, it's possible that the new iteration of your task is also overdue if the first was completed longer past the due date than the repeat frequency.

You can update the due date and switch it to repeat by completion date if this was the problem.
Linden

Posted Jun 25, 2010 in: Projects with no next actions?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jun 25, 2010
There isn't any way to do this search right now, unfortunately, since the search criteria can't look at the status of dependent tasks. So, a parent task can't identify whether its subtasks are checked off or if they have a particular status and so forth.

I believe this is something on Toodledo's list of things to implement, though.
Linden

Posted Jun 09, 2010 in: why is there a new "actions" icon?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jun 09, 2010
Posted by reckoner:

This is a good idea, except that the item I most often use is the "notes" icon, which evidently cannot be moved.

Thanks!

Are you using Grid view, reckoner? If so, you can move the Notes to the left side of the page, now. (I had the same problem as you before.)

Go to the account settings, and edit the option labelled "Show Tasks as:". If you choose Grid, there's a checkbox underneath that moves the notes to the left.

Save it, and then you can start moving your less frequently used columns to the right where they can happily drift off-screen. :)

If you're using multiline view, I don't have enough experience to offer suggestions. :(

This message was edited Jun 09, 2010.
Linden

Posted Jun 08, 2010 in: why is there a new "actions" icon?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jun 08, 2010
That's a reasonable point -- I can totally see where you're coming from.

On the other hand, the hover-wait-click combination linked to the checkbox did sometimes yield accidentally completed tasks for me. It was possible to uncheck the item again, but it was a delicate process and accidents lost time and added to frustration.

The hover-and-wait part of the old setup took time if I was manipulating a lot of tasks, too, where now you can just click the icon and get on with making changes.

Now that the notes icon can be moved to the left, one solution could be to move your least-referred-to column over at the far right, so it's not as important that your tasks run off the edge. I've got a bunch of columns that are useful for sorting and filtering, but I don't usually read them when I'm actually using my tasks. Maybe you do too?

Maybe there will be a fix-all when the more sweeping UI changes come along, that will solve the screen real estate issue in a more straight-forward way.

This message was edited Jun 08, 2010.
Linden

• Linden
There isn't a way to mark goals as public or private, but it's an awesome idea.

Toodledo is planning a major overhaul of the sharing and collaboration tools for some point in the future (timelines are wisely never shared), so this would make a great addition to that development wishlist.
Linden

Posted Jun 08, 2010 in: New action button and moving note icons
  • Linden
Yay! These are nice upgrades. There's going to be a short adjustment period while I get used to parsing the new clump of icons, but this has greatly improved the usability of the page for me.

Thanks, Toodledo!
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Jun 05, 2010
You're welcome, Infoholic. You make a good point, of course, about the ability to plan whether to stick around.

Unfortunately, even if Toodledo was plannning the upgrade for, say, a month from now (and announced it), something critical could come along and derail the original timeframe. That would be understandably frustrating if you had been sticking around on the promise of the short turnaround and you'd be left in a bind having dedicated the time to entering all your tasks in the meantime.

Because of this, it's really best to make your decision based on the current feature set. If something's really a dealbreaker, it's not worth the risk of it not being implemented on schedule -- you need to find something that can do it now.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the repeat options will be upgraded within the next 6 months or so. But I'm not affiliated with Toodledo beyond being a customer, so this guess is just that -- a guess based off my vague impression of the relative complexity of this change compared to some of the other big upgrades in the works.

Best of luck, whichever way you choose to go!

This message was edited Jun 05, 2010.
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: May 29, 2010
Toodledo doesn't comment on timelines for feature updates: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2/0/read-me-first.html

You can rest assured that it's on their list of features to implement, though!
Linden

Posted May 29, 2010 in: Importance level
  • Linden
  • Posted: May 29, 2010
The importance level is only shown when it's the first in the sort order. Just change the sort criteria and it will go away. The sort is saved per view (Folder view, Context view, etc.), so you'll need to update the sort when you use one of those the first time, but it won't revert to the "importance level" on its own again after that.
Linden

Posted May 23, 2010 in: Statistics - Again
  • Linden
  • Posted: May 23, 2010
Hey Lew,

It doesn't look like these fields are available in the downloads yet. (It would be great to have them added to the XML backups at least)

Have you tried using custom searches for this? The fields you're describing are available online, and are labelled "Date Added" and "Date Modified". So, you could setup a "straggler" search for any item that isn't checked off and was added 6 months ago (or whatever you consider a potentially stagnant task). Or, you could search for anything with status "waiting for" that was modified over a week ago to see what needs follow-up.

Cheers!

This message was edited May 23, 2010.
Linden

Posted May 23, 2010 in: Jott interoperability
  • Linden
ToodleDo doesn't normally keep track of the forums other than the Questions forum. The notice is posted in a sticky: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/2486/-12819/read.html

If you're trying to report a bug, your best bet is to submit a support ticket or post it to the Questions forum.

Cheers!
Linden

Posted May 23, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
  • Linden
This is awesome news -- congrats on the accomplishment! My company is working on a major code overhaul as well, so I can completely understand what a huge undertaking that was.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11      Next