ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Purveyor"
Purveyor

Posted Apr 02, 2012 in: Entry limit based on time
Score: 0
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2012
  • Score: 0
Probably best to contact the makers of 2Do.
It doesn't seem like this is a problem with Toodledo.
Purveyor

Posted Apr 02, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
Score: -1
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2012
  • Score: -1
Posted by PeterW:
Keeping a personal productivity system as simple as you can make it will pay dividends in terms of productivity.
Or, simpler is more productive. ;)

Jake (the developer of Toodledo) has used a "throw in everything but the kitchen sink" approach to attract many types of users, but he does not use GTD to track his own tasks. Features like "Next Action" and "Someday" in Status have a superficial resemblance to GTD concepts, but, in practice, they interfere with the process, as do additional fields like Goal and Length.

My approach is similar to that of PeterW and cabbage but I use Start Date to filter out future tasks that can't really become "overdue". i.e. something that I will do in the future, but not necessarily on a specific date. If it is something like a licence or membership renewal, then I add a Due Date.

BTW, last night I grabbed my copy of Getting Things Done and I reviewed some of the key concepts. Worth reading again. All of it.

This message was edited Apr 03, 2012.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 30, 2012
Posted by cj:
Toodledo is great; I've been a user and fan for many years, but leaving a suggestion on these boards is very much like asking the FBI about space aliens: you will get a predictable "we cannot confirm or deny the existence of ..." response, to the point where it is amusing to those of us who read these forums frequently.
I've noticed, though, that Jake's recent comments have been more informative. He really is maintaining a very high level of responsiveness.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 26, 2012
Posted by PeterW:
@Purveyor - your posts in this thread have been insightful, eloquent and entertaining.
Thanks. I've often been impressed by your succint, lucid posts.
:)
Purveyor

Score: 1
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 26, 2012
  • Score: 1
Okay Salgud, I made a deliberate effort in my last post to be conciliatory but it is clear that you prefer fighting.

You continue to make distorted claims and irrational distinctions. You are more interested in inflammatory rhetoric than you are in rational debate.

By bringing up a comparison with Branson you are arguing against your own position. The Virgin Group has 50,000 employees. Toodledo has two, and Jake is the only one who handles customer inquiries.

Anyway, I'm done educating you. Good luck with your one-man fight. Knock yourself out.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2012.
Purveyor

Score: 3
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 25, 2012
  • Score: 3
Way too much time on this. :-|
A lot of words about tools and not much about systems. (Some cool stuff about Tasker and Ultimate To-Do List.)
I could write several paragraphs commenting on what you wrote but I won't.
I have several other things that I am getting done. ;)

This message was edited Mar 26, 2012.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 24, 2012
In Settings, New Task Defaults, just above Save Changes, there's "Also use these defaults for tasks added via email or twitter."
Purveyor

Posted Mar 23, 2012 in: Chromatic Dragon Toodledo Sync
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2012
Posted by ahalowell:
It does just what I need it to do, nothing more, nothing less.
What is that you need it to do? Maybe there's some type of workaround using the Import/Export tools and the email function.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
It seems that you have not clicked on my links so I'll provide the relevant info:

A Straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

A false dilemma is a type of logical fallacy that involves a situation in which only two alternatives are considered, when in fact there are additional options (sometimes shades of grey between the extremes).

Salgud, do you not see that you are distorting my position? You are taking things to the extreme so that you can then mock them. There's a big difference between saying that Jake should modify his canned response and saying that Jake is an idiot. Jake is very intelligent, and he has accomplished a lot in many areas. But, he is still running a small operation. It seems that you have a knee-jerk reaction to any suggestion that Jake should change his approach in the forums. Do you think that he is doing a perfect job?

Do you honestly think that Jake should not find someone to help him in responding to user inquiries? I'm sure that he has thought about it many times and could possibly be looking for someone right now. It is not easy to find the right person. But, Jake is the one who brought up the issue of working on weekends, holidays and vacations. From a pure customer service viewpoint, it doesn't matter to a user that the developer's work is interfering with his personal life. From a more humane perspective, though, it does matter. That's one reason why I am encouraging Jake to find an assistant.

You are obviously intelligent and knowledgeable. It seems, though, that sometimes you are not interested in moving along the discussion to arrive at a consensus. Sometimes you are more interested in irrationally taunting other users. (Hey, I've done that!) Better to look for areas of agreement.

Anyway, have a good weekend. :)

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
Thanks for the post. :)

You say "GTD's biggest problem is that it's now extremely dated", but you offer little to support such a strong claim.

Then there's this:
It essentially programs the user to react mechanically to upcoming tasks, affirming a system that minimizes any concept of achievement and instead praises the process of clicking checkboxes. In many ways, if you've read any of Mr. Allen's biography, this makes complete sense.
What "biography" are you referring to? Also, I'm curious about how you arrived at the conclusion about what GTD does "essentially". Seems like you are painting with a very broad brush.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
Posted by Salgud:
Hire someone who doesn't know diddly about TD to answer our questions
Are you saying that all new employees know nothing about the job and it is impossible to train them? Or are you saying that a "successful software business" should have no support staff -- only an owner/developer/administrator who wants to stay in touch with what's going on and responds to inquiries on weekends, holidays and vacations?

Also, if a Toodledo employee is incapable of answering forum questions, then why do you have 803 posts so far? On what basis are you qualified to respond? Perhaps you should be the new assistant.

BTW, your use of False dilemma is fascinating.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
Posted by PeterW:
Maybe you need to get another assistant
Not "maybe". ;)

Posted by Toodledo:
You can rest assured that I am always truthful with my canned responses.
I don't want to setup expectations that might not be met if our priorities change.
First, your assurance of being truthful is not the same as actually being truthful.
It is not true when you say "we can't comment on a timeframe for implementation".
You can comment on a timeframe, but you choose not to. And, there is no "we". You are the only one who responds on behalf of Toodledo. By saying "we", you imply that there are several moderators who respond to suggestions and you introduce the subtle deception that Toodledo is a bigger company than it actually is. (You have what, two employees?) And, yeah, many companies deceive and exaggerate but you are the one who introduced the idea of being "truthful". (Which is strange because nobody accused you of lying.)

Your canned response implies that the suggestion will eventually get implemented. It sets up expectations when you say that something is on "our to-do list". It is precisely this issue that PeterW addresses in his first post in this thread.

The issue isn't that you use "canned responses" so you don't have to apologize for doing so, and nobody is asking you to "explain in detail all your decisions" or asking you to spend "100% of your time" responding to questions and suggestions. (I see that you share Salgud's propensity to use the "Straw man" fallacy.) Just use a few canned responses that give a more accurate indication of the popularity of a suggestion and the likelihood of implementing it, or try what PeterW suggested: "Thanks, we've added your request to our list for future consideration".

Anyway, I know that it is difficult to find the right people to help with all the work that needs to get done but, until you find someone, you will continue to work on weekends, holidays and vacations. Ultimately, it is your choice.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted Mar 22, 2012 in: GSyncit and Clear Context
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 22, 2012
You should contact the makers of GSyncit.

Also, there's a separate forum for third-party software: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/0/third-party-applications.html

This message was edited Mar 22, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted Mar 22, 2012 in: Folder disappears
  • Purveyor
In your iPhone Settings, go to Notifications and, in the Notification Center, find Toodledo, and set "View in Lock Screen" to "OFF".
Purveyor

Posted Mar 22, 2012 in: Chromatic Dragon Toodledo Sync
  • Purveyor
I can understand wanting to get something for free, but I find it strange that people are willing to use discontinued, unsupported software to maintain important data.

gSyncit is $20.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 21, 2012
Posted by Salgud:
cj did not suggest that they give "more details", he suggested that they promise to move that particular suggestion up the list, as though this would make any sense.
That's right, it doesn't make sense, if your interpretation of what cj said is correct.

In my opinion, cj was providing one example of what Jake could say in some situations. Obviously, not all suggestions are "great" and not all suggestions have "a lot of requests", and it seems reasonable to assume that cj knows this, so what he said makes sense.
And to suggest that Jake write a paragraph or two on the history of each suggestion is ridiculous.
I see that you are an expert at using the Straw man fallacy.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012.
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 21, 2012
Salgud, you are not confused. You are just interested in pointing out that cj is wrong.

I think that cj's post has some merit. Jake could provide more info about user suggestions: Is it a first-time suggestion or has it come up several times? Is it highly unlikely that the suggestion will ever be implemented or is it something that is being given serious consideration? The standard response provides some feedback but it can be misleading. Users will sometimes think that their proposed features will be implemented soon (because they are on "the list") but, in any practical sense, it's never going to happen.

I've noticed, though, that Jake has been providing more information recently when responding to suggestions. That's a move in the right direction. And, of course, it's great that he takes the time to respond to so many suggestions.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted Mar 19, 2012 in: syncronizing with outlook
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 19, 2012
Posted by mitchell_1332200094:
I feel a bit ripped off - I downloaded the $3.99 app for my iphone, registered at the Toodledo site, but did this all because of an article that said that syncing from Toodledo online to my Outlook would be free.
You feel ripped off because "an article" said something that is not true? :-/
Purveyor

• Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 19, 2012
Purveyor

Posted Mar 18, 2012 in: file attachments on iOS
  • Purveyor
  • Posted: Mar 18, 2012
Here's a previous discussion about attachments on the iPad:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/7057/-51241/file-attachment-availability-on-ipad.html
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45      Next