Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Nov 07, 2010
  • Score: 0
@tanga,

A couple of things:

1. Your original post was less than 24 hours ago and given that it is still the weekend in the USA, you probably need to wait just a little longer before Toodledo and/or others see the message and respond.

2. I've seen similar problems with the iPhone and other calendars. My iPhone syncs with a personal MobileMe account and with my work's Exchange server. In MobileMe, I can select the calendar colours and it syncs with my iPhone.

However the iPhone randomly selects a colour for the Exchange calendar - it ignores the colour settings I use in Outlook and there is no way to change the colour on the iPhone. This appears to be the way Apple has designed it.

I have Googled this and see that I am not alone - many have complained about it. The only workaround I know of is to disable the offending calendar in the iPhone settings and then re-enable it. This seems to force the calendar to adopt another colour and if you do this a few times you will see that it seems to cycle through a default set of colours (about 6 I think).

This may or may not apply to the Toodledo calendar synced to iCal, so I am just offering it as a possibility given what I have seen with other calendars.
PeterW 

Posted Nov 07, 2010 in: Timezone changed
  • PeterW 
I know this has been discussed at length in the past, but something doesn't seem right.

My timezone (Australian Eastern Standard Time) went onto daylight savings October 3rd. I didn't change anything on the website and didn't experience any problems so assume that my Toodledo time was updated via my iPhone syncing with the site.

However, I've just noticed this morning that my Toodledo time is now one hour behind my current time. So it seems that the USA daylight savings time change has affected my Toodledo time.

Is this what we should expect? The problem with this is that many of us outside the USA won't necessarily know or keep track of when daylight savings starts & stops inside the USA. How do we deal with this?
PeterW 

• PeterW 
I'm out of ideas @Swannej. I don't think there are any other settings, at least nothing else I can find. You might have to open a support ticket.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
You need to go into the Regional Settings within Account Settings. http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=4
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Nov 05, 2010
Posted by piyush_soni:
Also, after a few days, may be the only reason to use it will vanish as well:
http://www.arewefastyet.com/

I'm not sure what this website means - is it saying that the next version of FireFox will be as fast as Chrome?
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2010
Posted by JPR:
Chrome has a feature called "Application shortcuts", which let's you convert any webpage into a shortcut that opens in its own streamlined browser window. I created one for the Slim Add Task page (https://www.toodledo.com/slim/#_add) and sized the window as small as reasonable, and pinned it to the taskbar. (I also assigned a shortcut key combo, so that Ctrl+Alt+N will open it as well.

I usually keep a blank "Add Task" window open under Chrome. When I need to "Toodledo this page", I click the address bar and drag the address text down to the taskbar, which gives focus to the Add Task window, and then drop the text into the description or note. (also works for text on a webpage)

That's neat, @JPR. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by Toodledo:
We don't have a Chrome extension (I think there is a third-party extension), but once we make one, it will have the "Toodledo this Page" feature.

I've just started using Chrome regularly and would like the add-on too.
PeterW 

Posted Nov 02, 2010 in: Why Toodledo works
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2010
Posted by j:
This is off the record.

I promise not to tell anyone.

A competitor in the cloud-based GTD space is about to update their system and it will include support for off-line mode. I have a feeling that such a feature will be a big thing in the future.
PeterW 

Posted Nov 02, 2010 in: Date format in Google plug ins
  • PeterW 
Posted by graham.smith:
We may be talking about different things here.

If I right click and choose "toodledoo something' the dates in the spin boxes are MM/DD/YY, its these dates I was referring to, when I was talking about the Toodledo addin for Google.

Sounds like you are talking about the Toodledo add-on for FireFox?

If so, mine is showing dd/mm/yyyy format.
PeterW 

Posted Nov 02, 2010 in: Help with Search Filter Criteria
  • PeterW 
This should work:

EDIT: Just noticed that you refer to 'started' tasks in your criteria and then refer to 'starred' tasks in your example search. I've included both in my example so if you only meant one or the other, you will need to amend the search criteria.

This message was edited Nov 02, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Nov 02, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
Posted by etanafinkler:
I go then to Toodledo and I'm kind of lost. I did a search for groceries, or shopping and it doesn't turn up anything and.. maybe I deleted it, dunno.

I think the Toodledo interface is crap. I'm using

The Toodledo website has many views - look at the top line of the screen where it displays "View by" and select the one that suits you best.

To see the data in the same kind of format as you would see it in Todo on the iPhone, select View by: Folder and you will see Next, Projects, etc. If you then sort the view by Due Date it will appear with the same type of dividers as you see on the iPhone.

I'm using Toodledo for my trusted GTD system and it does work. You probably just need to spend some more time with it and ask questions.

This message was edited Nov 02, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Nov 01, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Nov 01, 2010
@etanafinkler,

Appigo Todo does not have the 'status' field so if you are using it on the website to flag tasks as next actions, you will be completely lost when you look at your iPhone. If you really want to stick with using the 'status' field on the website then I'd suggest you use Toodledo's iPhone app.

The setup I am using works because the folders that you see on the home page of Todo (Next, Projects, Waiting for, Someday) are your status. Everything in the next folder is a next action - it couldn't be simpler. The Focus list can be setup to work much like the Toodledo Hotlist to narrow down your next actions to a daily to-do list. I used a saved search on the website for this because I want to include 'starred' tasks and Todo has an option to include in the Focus list, so again this means that Toodledo and Todo work together really well.

I have to say that setting your folders up in 'roles' just won't work well with GTD. If you use Toodledo on the iPhone then you might be able to get away with it but you'll have to work out of the 'Status' view.

Just my $0.02.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Damned droids!

Glad you are onto this.
PeterW 

Posted Nov 01, 2010 in: How Do You Handle Birthdays?
  • PeterW 
Interesting discussion.

I have birthdays on my calendar and this is automatic with MobileMe - it just picks up birthdays from the Contacts file.

I am happy with them there. For me, Toodledo is stuff I have to do. So if I need to buy a present then it will go on Toodledo. For me, birthdays are valid 'all-day' items on the calendar just the same as entries for public holidays, etc.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 28, 2010 in: Missing Subtask
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2010
This changed over a month ago. Here is a link to the announcement:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/7693/0/adding-subtasks-multi-add-scrolling-and-more.html

There are a few easy ways to add a subtask:
- Hover your pointer over the 'hand' icon. The popup window has an 'add subtask' button;
- Click on the Lego icon. The popup window has an 'add subtask' button.

And you can still drag an existing task onto another to make it into a subtask.

The same announcement has info about the ability to multi-add subtasks when creating a task, which is neat. There has been another update that affects the behaviour of subtasks which you should read to see what impact it has on your system: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/7945/0/updates-to-subtasks.html

As for your wife disappearing, that sounds quite serious but I don't think it is the fault of Toodledo. :)
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2010
GTD is meant to be a 'whole-of-life' thing rather than just work oriented, so you should be able to apply it to your situation.

If you are having trouble getting through the book, Google for some online summaries, e.g: http://www.wikisummaries.org/Getting_Things_Done:_The_Art_of_Stress-Free_Productivity

Essentially you need to create some 'buckets' in which to file your tasks according to their status, e.g:
- next actions (single-step tasks you can do that don't need any input from anyone else)
- projects (tasks that require a number of steps to complete)
- waiting for (tasks that require a response from someone else before you can do them)
- someday (tasks that you'd like to do but really aren't crucial at present).

In Toodledo, I've found it best to use folders as the buckets with these names.

You've already written a lot of your tasks down so you have made a good start. You may need to go through the tasks to determine if they are single-step next actions or multi-step (projects). You've already done that for some tasks, e.g What to do for Vacation has a few steps defined. Make sure you do that for the others - if you don't think about what a next action is and define it clearly, you might find yourself procrastinating about it and never doing it. E.g. 'Gift for Tanner' could be complex unless you already have decided what you're buying and know where to get it. However it could be a small project, e.g. decide what gift to buy, phone local outlets to determine availability, etc.

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest subscribing to Toodledo so that you can use the subtask functionality - this will be useful for your 'projects' and the checklists you've already defined (e.g. Daily). Note also that Toodledo has the ability set tasks as recurring so your daily list can be set to repeat the next day after you've checked it off today.

You should also define some contexts to get the most out of your lists. Some examples may be: work, home, errands, online, etc. This gives you the ability to filter tasks by context so you can get more done while in a specific context.

There's lots more that could be said but I'd suggest you Google as mentioned above so that you're clear about how to best set this up. If you dive in without doing that you might find it just becomes another mess you have to deal with.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 27, 2010 in: File attachment pop-up window
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 27, 2010
Never mind, I found it - it's #filediv.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 27, 2010 in: File attachment pop-up window
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 27, 2010
I'm tweaking a Stylish script for Toodledo and want to affect the appearance of the file attachment pop-up window.

Is that possible? If so, what is the name of this element?
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Oct 26, 2010
Humphrey,

You are seeing Importance Level on the separators because your view is currently sorted by Importance. This level is calculated (see here for more details: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=53).

To remove it, change your sort criteria: click on the Sort button on the Toolbar and set your first sort criteria to something else, e.g. Due Date, and then click on the Sort button. The separators will then change to Due Date.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Go into your account settings and set the required filters you wish to use. Here is a link: http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=10

Next, switch to the Main view and you will see the Hotlist tab.

I've created my own Hotlist using the Search tab. It allows more filter criteria.
PeterW 

Posted Oct 26, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
  • PeterW 
Unfortunately I don't have iCal as I don't have a Mac. Windows PC at work and home. I've dumped Outlook at home and now just use MobileMe and GMail. At work I have to use Outlook/Exchange for mail and calendar.

The neat thing about the iPhone is that it overlays my Exchange calendar with my personal calendars so it's the best calendar to look at for scheduling.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next