ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Posted Jul 31, 2010 in: Show time in task display
Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 31, 2010
  • Score: 0
There is a 'Due Time' field you can use to designate when a task is due. There is also a 'Length' field to assign duration. Both fields will need to be turned on via your account settings (website) or dragged from 'Unused Fields' to 'Fields Used' on the iPhone.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 31, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 31, 2010
  • Score: 1
Yes, I've also tried Nirvana. While the interface is modern, it is still missing features that Toodledo has and that I must have. And I still prefer Toodledo's flexibility over a rigid approach.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 29, 2010
Appigo Todo supports manually sorting of Tasks and Subtasks.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Try setting subtasks as flattened on the iPhone and see if the task count changes.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 29, 2010 in: News forum
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
Hi Jake,

I would really like the News forum to be used just for that - news. In my opinion it should only be used by Toodledo for announcements and no-one else should be allowed to post in that section.

This would make it much easier for us to find information and everything would be in descending date order.

As it currently stands, old threads keep getting bumped up whenever someone posts a message, so we keep seeing really old threads at the top (e.g. We now have a Gmail gadget) which is quite confusing.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 28, 2010 in: The predictability of unpredictablity
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 28, 2010
For me, some regular things that I liked and wanted to do just had to be put onto my Someday list until the kids were older and more time was available. That's just life.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 28, 2010 in: Searches
  • PeterW 
I don't think what you're asking for is possible unless you create saved searches for each month using specific start/end dates. Otherwise as you've suggested, just use one search and modify it each month (which wouldn't take that long).

Or you could create a saved search to filter for tasks completed in the last 30 (or 31?) days which would give you what you want provided you look at it on the first day of the new month!
PeterW 

Posted Jul 28, 2010 in: How to simply search for stars...?
  • PeterW 
It's just the way it has been designed. I understand it like this: subtasks have two possible states - they either stand alone (flattened) or they belong to their parent (hidden/nested).

If you select 'flattened' then subtasks are treated just like all other tasks and are visible in their own right subject to your filters. If you select 'hidden' or 'nested' the parent task 'owns' them and they are no longer visible to your views.

For a fuller explanation you might have to ask Toodledo by posting a question in the 'Questions' forum (perhaps just link this thread to a new one in Questions).

I am not exactly sure what you mean in your last paragraph about views and searches. Are you asking why selecting one of flattened/nested/hidden affects search results? If so, I guess because this option is really a filter rather than just a view option. Not sure if that makes sense but again is how I understand it.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 28, 2010 in: How do you use Folders/Contexts/Tags?
  • PeterW 
@tommy.kelly:

Good question, but perhaps difficult to answer. I would say that it depends on your personal workflow. The answer therefore will be different for each individual.

I started out using Toodledo similarly to what you've described, e.g. folders representing different aspects of my work life (e.g. finance, administration, operations, etc). I was never really satisfied with this arrangement but didn't really know what else to do. Prior to Toodledo, I'd tried Outlook and various handheld device-based solutions. None of them really worked for me.

It wasn't until I read "Getting Things Done" by Dave Allen and reading a bunch of threads in this forum and elsewhere that the concept of workflow began to gel for me.

Following is how I have setup Toodledo:

Folders:
-Next
-Projects
-Waiting For
-Someday

Contexts:
-Work
-Home
-Phone
-Errands

Tags:
-Business
-Personal
-Family
-GTD

So rather than using folders to categorize tasks, the folders become the task's status. For example:

* Next - is a list of tasks that can be done next
* Projects - is for multi-step tasks (tasks with subtasks)
* Waiting For - is for tasks that are waiting on someone else to respond or do something
* Someday - is for tasks that don't need to be done, but would be nice to do at some point

This provides a neat way of looking at what you need to do, what you need to follow up on, and what you'd like to do one day when time or energy permits. I don't use Toodledo's status field because folders do it for me, and moving a task from one folder to another changes its status.

Contexts are normally used to define either a location or resource. For example, there are some tasks I can only do at work, others I can only do at home, some can be done online (so anywhere I have access) etc. Contexts can be quite powerful - you simply select your context to see the subset of tasks you can work on at that time.

Tags can be used to categorize tasks in any other way and you can assign more than one tag if you wish so they are quite flexible. I've used very broad categories but you might find more granular tags work for you. I found that categorising my work into areas like finance, admin, etc really didn't do anything because in reality, I don't segment my day by discipline - I jump from task to task as needs dictate.

This is just one way of using Toodledo and there's lots more that could be said about this particular method. Others will no doubt chime in with other ways of using Toodledo that work really well for them. So as I said, it depends upon your personal workflow, or at least what you want it to be.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 27, 2010 in: Appigo has announced Todo v4
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 27, 2010
PeterW 

Posted Jul 27, 2010 in: TD Mac-like interface broken
  • PeterW 
I'm not on a Mac so can't help, but if you use FireFox on your Mac and the free Stylish add-in, there are a bunch of free themes available including one from the user 'nonimage'.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
You can indeed add notes after a task has been created. Simply click on the notes icon to open the notes field.

This icon looks like a page with a green + icon on it (when the field is empty) or a page with a red bar across it when the field already contains notes.

If you can't see the notes icon, you must be in multi-line mode. Simply click the blue arrow field immediately to the left of the task name field to display all fields, then you can see the notes icon.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: Notes column
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2010
I've asked for this before but in case it didn't make it onto the list, I would really like the notes icon to appear in multi-line view.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: How to simply search for stars...?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2010
Posted by Beat Schenker:
Wow - this is really true!! If you change the view to Flattned then the starred subtasks appear. This should not be that way!

This is working as designed. The following page is worth reading to get a better understanding of how subtasks work:
http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

I use parent tasks with subtasks to handle projects. In my Hotlist (which for me is a saved search), I ensure that subtasks are set to 'flattened' so that I see any subtasks that meet my criteria (which are due-date of today or tomorrow, or priority of high/top, or star). If I want to see the parent task or other subtaks, a single click does that. In my Folder view for Projects, I set subtasks to nested.

There have been complaints in the past about project handling using parent tasks and subtasks in Toodledo not being up to scratch. However I've found that it can work really well if you understand how it was designed to work. The only addition I would like is to see the parent task's name alongside the subtask's name (in smaller font) just give context at a glance rather than have to click.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 25, 2010 in: First Impressions
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 25, 2010
Check out this thread for info on how you can make a few improvements to the appearance of Toodledo:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/6399/-33867/can-we-help-create-themes-for-toodledo.html

Many of us are hoping that improvements to the default UI will be here soon.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 23, 2010 in: Starter Questions!
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 23, 2010
When I proceed through the in-box to put a next-action on every actionable task what should I do with projects? Should I just put the first action on it, proceed with the next task and once I'm done with my in-box go back to the projects and then determine every action to be done in order to finish the project?

I guess this is down to personal preference. My suggestion is that if you have any next project actions on your mind when going through your inbox, dump them out onto paper or into Toodledo before you forget them. You can always come back during a weekly review and scope out more next actions or refine existing ones.

I'm also not sure where to list actions of a project. Do I need to write it down on the project list and in the category it belongs to (next-action, waiting for, defer etc)? But writing it down twice seems a bit cumbersome.

You might want to do some experimenting with Toodledo to get a feel for how it works. It is a flexible environment so you can find a number of different ways of making it work.

For example, some users create a folder for each project, which means that you can then use tasks for next actions and also break these down into sub-tasks if needed, thereby providing a 3-tier hierarchy. Others have a single folder for all projects, with each task representing an individual project and sub-tasks to handle all project actions.

You mentioned 'category' - I assume you are referring to the 'status' field in Toodledo? This field is one way of handling GTD task status. Another would be to turn this field off and create folders named Next Action, Waiting for, etc. Using this approach, you can simply move a task from one folder to another to change its status.

I also haven't started using toddledo and Pocket Informant yet so I hope this solves the problem by putting an action into a project list and assign it to a category at the same time so it shows up on different lists. The other problem this could cause on the other hand is if I would write down every future task of a project to get a good outline which obviously would list actions that can't be done until I'm done with the previous one or is there a way to toggle actions on and off?

There isn't a way to toggle actions (tasks) on/off (e.g. active/inactive) but you can handle this using different fields. For example, you could use tags or the star field to denote whether or not a project next action is active or is the next one.

If you want to follow GTD methodology in Toodledo, there are some good threads in the forums here that will help you consider the many options available to you.

btw how can I get instant email notification when someone replied? I won't be able to use this forum otherwise.

The forum doesn't support email notification. I haven't found this a big problem though - just bookmark the forums in your browser or even a specific thread you want to follow and all you need to do is make a quick visit when you want to follow up.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 22, 2010 in: Biggest Time Sinks
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 22, 2010
Only 40 hours? Lucky you! ;)
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2010
I use Appigo Todo so can help with that question.

A 'Project' in Todo is the same as a Parent Task in Toodledo. Tasks under Projects in Todo are called Subtasks in Toodledo.

To be able to see and maintain the project/task hierarchy you have in Todo, you will need a pro subscription in Toodledo. Nothing is broken if you don't have a subscription but your project tasks will appear 'flattened' in Toodledo, i.e. can't be viewed nested.

I've never used 2Do so can't comment on how it works.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 21, 2010 in: Filter tasks not started yet
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2010
Apologies... I was thinking "search" rather than filters. Claudio is correct. Although if you're talking about on the iPhone, I'm not as familiar with that app (I use a different one).

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010.
PeterW 

Posted Jul 20, 2010 in: Tags?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jul 20, 2010
Posted by kevingough:
I can't find out where to add tags to a task or where to sort via tags. Can someone point me in the right direction. Do I need to upgrade to a for-pay version to get tag functionality?

Are you asking about the online version of Toodledo or the iPhone app?

In the online version, you need to ensure that the Tag field has been turned on. The 'Customize' button just below the toolbar on the top right is the place to do that.

On the iPhone you need to access:
Settings - Fields & Defaults
...and then tap on the Reorder button. Then scroll down to the 'Unused Fields' section and drag the 'Tag' field up into the 'Fields Used' section at the top.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next