ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 19, 2013
  • Score: 1
Axl.1 - How's that saying go? "Twisted minds think alike"?

Anyway, that's how I do it too, at least for now. And since there can be as many as 3 levels of goals:
Goal (Lifelong)
-Goal (Long Term)
--Goal (Short Term)
---Folder
----Task
-----Subtask
Salgud

Posted Nov 18, 2013 in: Setting up Alarm
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2013
TD doesn't do this, but your smartphone almost for sure has, or you can easily get, a timer what will do this just fine. My iPhone has a single timer in the Clock feature, which isn't really helpful. But I have an app, of course, called Alarmed, in which I can create and save as many timers as I need. So I have one 20 min timer for when I meditate, one for cooking pasta, one for cooking eggs, etc. A 3 hour timer would take 30 sec to set up.
Salgud

Posted Nov 18, 2013 in: Date field in list broken
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2013
  • Score: 0
I tried recreating it today, but couldn't. Maybe it was a momentary glitch? Will try again later.
Salgud

Posted Nov 14, 2013 in: Sub-subtasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 14, 2013
I guess I would encourage the TD team to do a lot of other enhancements first (practically everything), as I haven't found it a huge waste of my time clicking to complete a parent task when all the subtasks are completed. YMMV.
Salgud

Posted Nov 14, 2013 in: START DATES
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Score: -1
Saved Searches make tasks with a start date of today stand out by being the only tasks showing. They stand out even better that way when in a list of all kinds of other tasks.
Salgud

Posted Nov 14, 2013 in: Capacity Planning
  • Salgud
For me, when I need capacity planning, it's time to haul out the 44 Mag, MS Project. Yes, it takes time, quite a bit of it just learning how to use it (90+ percent of Project users have no clue as to how to properly use it), but it handles capacity planning far better than TD, or any other available task manager, and gives you Critical Path Method scheduling, which is much better than simple capacity planning. When you plan for capacity only, not considering the critical path aspects of a project large enough to require capacity planning, you usually end up with a much, much longer schedule than would be possible with CPM scheduling. And the much higher costs associated with a longer project.

Focusing on one aspect of Project Management, like capacity, invariably leads to other aspects, like cost and quality, going out of control.

In my opinion, if you're serious enough to want capacity planning, get a serious tool to manage it.
Salgud

Posted Nov 14, 2013 in: START DATES
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Score: -1
Posted by Darren B.:
I'd even be willing to pay for a Gold level subscription if it included the ability to make tasks with today start date stand out in the list with a different color or bold font.

This is exactly what Saved Searches are for!
Salgud

Posted Nov 14, 2013 in: Sub-subtasks
  • Salgud
Posted by DSM:
If you had functionality that allowed you to completely deal with subtasks, but not display them as subtasks (ie. indents) in the Toodledo task table, could you live with using Outlines for the display of your task hierarchy?

What I suggested elsewhere is adding a scripting capability to Toodledo that would allow a script associated with a task to query the status of another task and set the current task's status. Something like:

If TaskA.status == COMPLETE && TaskB.status == COMPLETE then TaskC.status = NEXTACTION

Using this, you could easily implement subtasks to any number of levels as well as implement sibling tasks, dependencies, and so on.

I hate to split hairs, but for consistency in this conversation, what you have illustrated is not a sub-subtask, but a dependency.
Salgud

Posted Nov 14, 2013 in: Date field in list broken
  • Salgud
I tried to create a simple project list, and included a date column. It hangs up there when I enter a date, won't take the date and clears all fields when I exit and come back. Is there a plan to fix the date feature soon?

On my fourth try, the other fields remain, but the date still is cleared.

On my fifth try, all fields cleared again. I gather it's best not to use date fields at this time?

Ok, so it won't save my lists "automatically" as the training video suggests. Now what?

Finally, the real trick, not mentioned in the video. It doesn't save automatically, it saves when you add another row! You don't have to actually save the other row, you just have to click the + as though you were going to add another row. This should be in the tutorial, I think.

After numerous tries, I finally created a simple 4 field Projects list. Entering a date in the newly created first row of the list was the other tricky part. The date entry box wouldn't close, as it normally does in other TD date entry boxes, so the only way I could close it was to exit the Lists entirely, then come back in. Once that was done, entering a date in additional rows was easy, worked just as TD normally does.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2013.
Salgud

Posted Nov 06, 2013 in: Enhancement suggestions
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 06, 2013
That would work for those who only use a few of the fields, but for those of us who use many, they simply wouldn't fit across that top (in portrait mode) and still be legible. They might all fit in landscape mode, but don't know if I want to have to go there every time I want to look at task details, then back to portrait to see enough tasks. I'm guessing that this is why they did this way.
Salgud

Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 06, 2013
  • Score: 2
I think this is one of TD's weaknesses, having an important feature like this tucked away where it's so hard to find. I only use this feature a couple of times a year, so I've had to store the steps to get to it so I can find it each time. This should be in the list of fields, like all the other ones (except for Date Modified, which is also hidden away). You shouldn't have to be a TD guru to know how to access these important fields, in my opinion.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 05, 2013
Just got an iPad Friday, and while the font is small, I can read it with my glasses on. A bigger problem for me is hitting the right spot on the screen with my fat fingers! A bigger font should help with that too.
Salgud

Posted Nov 05, 2013 in: Toodledo Database Compromised
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 05, 2013
Thanks for being open and letting us know!
Salgud

Posted Oct 23, 2013 in: Sub-subtasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 23, 2013
Posted by Peter Scott:
What? They're not remotely related. Outlines are a separate data repository with the semantics for arranging strings in a hierarchy and attaching a checked status to them. They're not tasks, they don't have attributes like start and due dates, they can't be filtered by status or tag, they can't be searched by folder or context, they can't be reassigned, they don't count towards the statistics, they can't have alarms attached, they're not accessible via the mobile app or the API, they can't have independent notes or files. What are you talking about? A subsubtask would be a sub task of a sub task.

Exactly. The two are unrelated, both literally and figuratively.
Salgud

Posted Oct 22, 2013 in: Permanent Link broken, again
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2013
Why does Permanent work some days and for some parent tasks, but not others? This happened last week, and again today. Permanent Link works on tasks I don't need it for, but not the one I need to use it on. I've posted this same problem some time ago.

I know the TD staff focus is now on Lists and Outlines, but they need to take some time on fixing tasks so the existing features work.
Salgud

Posted Oct 22, 2013 in: Sub Tasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2013
Just click and drag on the vertical double-headed arrow.
Salgud

Posted Oct 21, 2013 in: Unique reference for tasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 21, 2013
Posted by hadstockmail-web:
I'm a newcomer to TD itself, but I learned to program in the mid 1960s.
Chris

Didn't know there were any others around. I wrote my first code in engineering school in 1966. Learned Fortran in 67. Been working with computers in one capacity or another since.
Salgud

Posted Oct 16, 2013 in: Better Note Editor Needed!
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 16, 2013
It's just their marketing strategy, which has been for the last year or more, to expand horizontally to add features like Outlines and Notes rather then to expand vertically and give more depth to the apps they already had. So now TD have become a Swiss Army Knife of unrelated apps, and I'm guessing it will take a year or two to integrate them. After that, we can at least hope that they will put some more serious effort into things such as enhancing the Notes feature and improving the Task Manager.
Salgud

Posted Oct 11, 2013 in: Move Completed tasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 11, 2013
What about using the "Show" filter and hiding them from view?
Salgud

Posted Oct 10, 2013 in: Feature Request - Web Page - Search
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 10, 2013
Posted by dannyw0011:
While not a function of Toodledo, I do this by going to the All Tasks folder, showing details, and then using Chrome's find feature to search for the keyword I'm looking for.

I just discovered this method myself, and it works quite well. There are two drawbacks. The first is that it takes TD a good 20 - 30 seconds to display "all" tasks, including 6 months of completed ones, and I am, by nature, impatient. The other is that it searches all fields, like folders and goals, etc, which is rarely what I'm searching for. But it's a small price to pay for being able to find a "lost" task. And a good lesson in patience. :)
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next