ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: Payin for Toodledo
Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2010
  • Score: 2
Interesting read here. I just came back to TD after a long time with Things and a short attempt at RTM last year.

I like Things - it has a great feature set and the best interface in the biz. But CC's development team hate to be bothered by those pesky users who want help! And updates! And, worst of all, new features! Their forums have become rancid with the frustration of the power users, and, unfortunately, I've gotten sucked into the mayhem there more than a few times. It's just a very frustrating place to go. Can't really blame them, CC's been promising some sort of cloud for a year and a half! Hard to believe. And the only time the developers come to the forums is to defend their non-communication policy.

I tried out TD briefly over a year ago, but just plain didn't like the interface. I used RTM for a few months, but finally decided it was like my British sports cars back in the sixties. Drive, fix, drive, fix... forever. But the forums were a lot friendlier than CC's.

At my new boss' request, I tried to use GroupWise that is on our computers at work because we have a Novell network. GW is a very feature-rich, powerful PIM that is so convoluted, so complex, and totally unstable if you push it in the least, it falls apart. Drove me crazy with "ghost" appointments (multiple copies of repeating, emailed appointments that come and to mysteriously and a filtering capability that hides appointments and todos and emails where no one can find them). It also has very limited task management capabilities. Other than that, it's not bad!

So I've come back to TD because it has the features I want, has friendly, helpful forums, and regular upgrades. I've already posted a number of questions here, and promptly got replies either from other users or from the developers. Nice!

If some of you think the pace of development here is slow, it's glacial at CC. It's only been a week, but, so far, I'm very impressed TD and it's developers.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
PC Apps (at work)
TD
EN 2.2 (way more powerful than EN 3.x)
GroupWise (Novell's placeholder so they can claim they have something like Outlook)
Google Calendar
40tude (for newsgroups)
IE7 (no choice at work)

OSX Apps (at home, on iMac)
TD
EN 3.x (EN 2.2 never existed on the Mac)
Google Calendar
Google Chrome (sometimes FF)

iPhone Apps (when I had one)
EN
Things (was, will be TD now)
SplashShopper (lists, like my grocery lists)
Keeper
Safari
Calengoo (syncs seamlessly with Google Calendar, much better than iCal)

My sons give me grief about how many apps I have on my iMac and my iPhone (when I had it). I like to try out new things. Some work out and I keep, most don't.
Salgud

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: Default view doesn't?
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Score: 0
You guys are good!
Salgud

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: Have I got filters right?
  • Salgud
Thanks for the reply. Just keep doin' whatchur doin'.
Salgud

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: Notes column
  • Salgud
I found it, and I already had it checked, but I'm not seeing the note icons. Seems to me that when I first started using TD they were there. What could cause them to be hidden. I do have several tasks with notes, so I know they should be there. Any suggestions?
Salgud

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: Notes column
  • Salgud
Weird! I don't see that setting anywhere on my Account Settings page. Is this a subscriber only feature maybe?
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 22, 2010
I think what you're looking for someone just showed me. You create a Saved Search using a criteria like:

Start Date |is in the last| 999 days
or Due Date |is in the last| 999days

IOW, any start date before tomorrow for 1,000 days. Of course, if you want to ignore start dates over 100 days old, you could put in 99 days instead of 999.

My Today Search is as follows:

Checked |is| no
and |Status |is| active
and |Context |is| Work
and |Starred |is| yes
or |Start Date |is in the last| 999 days
or |Due Date |is in the last| 999 days

If you're not using contexts or status, you can remove that line. This is of course, my work Today list. By removing the context line, it would be an "everything" list.

This way, any task whose Due Date is in the last 999 days or any task who's start date is in the last 999 days will show in my Work for Today list (Actually, in my list I've named it "W - Today" to make the name shorter so I can fit more saved searches in view. Some of my tasks don't have a Start Date, so the Due Date determines when it shows up on the list. Of course, I also have a "Next 3 Days" view so I can look ahead periodically to see what's coming at me.

Including the Starred option gives me the ability to include any task I like simply by starring it, regardless of it's Start and Due dates. Again, you can omit that option if you want.

I'm pretty new here myself, so if someone sees an error in my logic, please jump in and rescue me.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Jul 22, 2010 in: Update button?
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Score: -1
Thanks for your reply. Surprisingly enough, having the shortcut key is better than the F5 key because my finger can find it without having to look down at the keyboard.

How lazy we become with these gadgets in our lives! (old school, and pretty much everything else, here)
Salgud

• Salgud
Does anyone know if this applies to OSX, or is this bug just in Windoze?
Salgud

Posted Jul 22, 2010 in: Update button?
  • Salgud
Thanks for the reply.

A key is better than nothing, but I would prefer an update button in the GUI.
Salgud

Posted Jul 21, 2010 in: Have I got filters right?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2010
Or the Filters list could have another option, "No Filter".

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Jul 21, 2010 in: Update button?
  • Salgud
Am I missing something or would TD benefit from an Update button? I just entered a new task from my Today Search list. It wasn't going on my Today list, it is due the end of the week. But after I enter a new task, for it to be incorporated in the proper lists, I have to select another search, or anything that goes to some other view, then go back in order to update my Today list w/o the new task. Shouldn't there be some more direct way to update the screen?

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010.
Salgud

• Salgud
Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. I tried that, but it seems like making Start Date is in the last 999 days worked better for me, because I want anything that I'm supposed to have started by today on my Hotlist.
Salgud

Posted Jul 21, 2010 in: notes of completed tasks
  • Salgud
I just ran across this thread nosing around.

My solution would be to copy the note when I first entered it and paste the note into Evernote with appropriate title and tags.
Salgud

Posted Jul 21, 2010 in: Have I got filters right?
  • Salgud
As I understand, filters, once applied, apply to all other views except Saved Searches. And I can't create my own filters, I'm limited to those in the Filters list.

Finally, the "Filters On" thingy (what do you call it?) tells you not that filters are available, but that the view is actually at this moment filtered. And the only way to turn them off is to go to the bottom of the page where it tells you a filter is applied and offers you the option to turn them off. This seems a bit inconvenient.

Am I right, or am I missing something?
Salgud

Posted Jul 21, 2010 in: Hide personal tasks when at work
  • Salgud
Just to follow-up on this thread.

I've been using contexts to get the lists I want, and solved that problem. I'm now having other issues, but I'll post those in other appropriate threads.
Salgud

Posted Jul 19, 2010 in: Default view doesn't?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 19, 2010
I can't get TD to automatically go to my default view, Searches, on any reliable basis. I have seen other similar comments in these forums, but no definitive answer.

Is this a known bug? On the "list" for a fix? Browser related (I'm forced to use IE7 here at work)?
Salgud

Posted Jul 19, 2010 in: Filters come and go
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 19, 2010
Surprised I didn't get a reply on this. But I figured it out after using TD long enough.

The Filter option doesn't appear in the Search view because it doesn't apply, and the Search view was where I was spending most of my time creating the views I wanted to implement TD.
Salgud

Posted Jul 16, 2010 in: Filters come and go
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 16, 2010
Been playing with TD for a few days now, and every once in a while I run across a reference to filters in the help files. Every time I go to look for them, they aren't up there. But once in a while, when I'm not looking for them, they're there. So are they programmed to only be visible when I'm not looking for them? :)

Seriously, what determines when filters are available, and when they're not?
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 16, 2010
I'd like to create a Saved Search where I can see tasks that are due today or earlier. Would be the same if I created a "before tomorrow" date search. Can this be done in TD?
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next