ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Sep 06, 2010 in: reminders for individual todos
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 06, 2010
  • Score: -1
Yes, if you buy the Pro version ($15/yr)
Salgud

Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Score: 0
Is this a question, a feature request, or just a passing comment? :)
Salgud

Posted Sep 06, 2010 in: Task notifies 8 hours prior
  • Salgud
Also, check your time settings in the Settings page. While I'd think that would effect both your cloud based TD and your iPhone, I'm not sure.
Salgud

Posted Sep 01, 2010 in: What we have been doing recently
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 01, 2010
I agree, to a point. I have trouble when I select the "More" tab to look at the rest of my Saved Searches, particularly when at home on my iMac. (Not sure why it's worse there than at work on my PC. Different browser? FF at home, IE7 at work). For example, he Tool Top that lists the Saved Searches in the "More" tab gets in the way of my selecting one. Rather irritating, thcugh I can hardly say it would be a "HUGE timesaver" if it were fixed. For me, it's not so much about time (can't ad up to a minute a day, even if I had the same problem at work), as just irritation.

I find some that of the Tool Tips, on both platforms, are a nuisance.
Salgud

Posted Aug 31, 2010 in: auto repeat
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 31, 2010
Posted by Joe:
Is there a way to get my tasks that repeat to automatically show up each interval REGARDLESS of whether the previous one was completed?

Example: Move car on Wednesdays. I want that task to show up and send me a reminder every week no matter what - regardless of whether I went in and completed last week's "move car" complete or not.

I think what you're looking for is a due date modifier, which described in the help screen:

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42
Salgud

Posted Aug 30, 2010 in: Get rid of checkobx hover
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 30, 2010
Good suggestion. Popup is confusing.
Salgud

Posted Aug 30, 2010 in: Locations, Reverse Sort, and More
  • Salgud
I'm sure someone from TD will have their answer. But I can tell you a few things I know about this.

First of all, 3% is NOT a statistically significant sample ANYWHERE. No way to know that it's representative.

Further, these forums are definitly a filter. The "average" user doesn't venture here, doesn't use these kinds of forums. I don't know a single person personally that uses online forums or newsgroups. I don't really know what kinds of people we are that do use forums, but I can at least guess. Curious, above average intelligence, computer savy, at least to some degree. But we cerainly aren't "average", even for TD users (which are probably somewhat unique in themselves).

One other trait I find interesting and very common. Some people would NEVER NEVER NEVER look up ANYTHING, much less come to a forum to see how others solved a problem. They HAVE to do it THEMSELVES. Have to figure it out THEMSELVES. I have a long-time friend and ex-business partner who is this way. And I had a boss who was VERY UPSET when she found out that I was going to a newsgroup to get help writing the VBA code I was doing for her. I was CHEATING! (her words) I'm serious about this. Very strange to me, but quite common.

I don't know a lot about such things, but if I were a developer and I had user forums for my product, I'd certainly take their forum user's recommendations with a grain of salt. Maybe a salt-lick! :)

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Aug 30, 2010 in: Toodledo alternate web interface
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Score: -1
Posted by ChrisFR:
Salgud, thanks for testing it out.

What browser are you using? Obviously there are some issues here since these buttons did not work for you. Maybe more things did not work either, which might obviously make the app a bit worse for your taste :)

Using IE7 (work for the state, we're always behind the curve). Still, a pretty common browser I imagine.

The sample tasks are simply there to give you an idea of what type of syntax you can use. Admittedly they are a tad goofy. I suppose that "day after tomorrow" if a bit more relevant than "day after Saturday"

The whole idea is to allow you to capture a new task very quickly, following the GTD methodoloogy: you simply enter your taks info as a string of text. No context, no project, nothing.
Yes, you can also enter these guys as well but it's only if you feel like it. In fact, I am afraid that you may not even have seen that due to browser incompatibility. My fault, of course, for not testing on more browsers!

-C.

If you had mentioned in your original post that it was largely intended for GTDers, I wouldn't have looked at it. I'm not a GTDer.

If other things were missing, then I didn't experience what you're trying to do, so maybe it is more useful to me than I thought. When I click on any of the gray text, I just get an "Error on Page" in the bottom left of the browser. "Submit" just clears the screen.
I can enter a task name, date and note, none of the other fields will accept any entry. Is that how it's supposed to be?

To me, mostly it seems like a simplified input screen for TD. Since I'm now used to the rather cluttered standard one, I don't know that I need a simplified one.

The other issue for me is that I use a lot of Start Dates, to prevent a gazillion future tasks from appearing on my daily Work list. So if I'm going to enter more than the name, I'd probably want the Start Date field there too. Just a suggestion.

Salgud

Posted Aug 30, 2010 in: Toodledo alternate web interface
  • Salgud
My first impression is, "What does this do for me that TD doesn't already do?" The answer is, "nothing". I guess maybe you were thinking that the TD interface is intimidating to some, and to simplify it, which is fine. Having used all kinds of software for years, I don't find it imtimidating, never did. Maybe a bit confusing at first.

The problem with your adaptation is that it doesn't give me all the fields I need to define a task. I prefer either to just quickly name a task and leave it in my Inbox (No Folder folder) until later, or fill everything it needs in. Your idea is rignt in the middle, so it's of no use to me.

And the "Help" and "Test" links didnt' work. "Hide" button should be a "Back to Top" button, unless it's supposed to do something else.

Just curious, why the "sample" tasks at the bottom? There are users who don't know that a task is?

What is the point of "Day after Saturday" instead of "Sunday"?

Nice effort - it might help some beginners out.

Salgud

Posted Aug 30, 2010 in: Due Date sorting
  • Salgud
Again, I'm confused. I don't see any "Due" button to click in the due date set of tabs, or anywhere else. Are we maybe talking about the iPhone verions?
Salgud

• Salgud
Thanks for your reply.

Am at work, on my PC, and they work, sometimes. Apparently, I have to show the details of a task before the shortcut keys work. If I select "new search" with the mouse, I can use the numbers to go to the other tabs. If I select "new search" with a number key, I can no longer select other tabs with the number keys.

At least so far, it seems like I have to do a "setup" of some kind to get the shortcut keys to work, which isn't very useful. The idea of the shortcut keys is to keep your hands on the keyboard. But with TD, I have to use the mouse to get the shortcuts to work. Good thing I'm not that big on shortcut keys anyway. They just take me back to my DOS days, when everything was done with shortcut keys, and you had to mermoized a different set for each app, and start over memorizing them if you switched apps.

So for me at least, it's no big deal. I might have used some of them if I could rely on them, but I don't want to have to memorize when I can use them, and when I can't, and what I have to do to activate them again.

Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 29, 2010
Neat tip! Unfortunately, I tried it and it doesn't work. When I type "2J", nothing happens. I have keyboard shortcuts turned on. Is it because I'm on a Mac?
Salgud

Posted Aug 29, 2010 in: View By Sorting
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 29, 2010
@stepanie.wei

Also, you can click a second time on the Sort button and resort whatever list is up in descending, instead of ascending, order.

HTH
Salgud

Posted Aug 28, 2010 in: Invisible task
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 28, 2010
There are actually several ways you could do this in addtion to Jon's suggestion, just in case you don't want to give it a negative priority. You could give it a status you don't otherwise use, like cancelled or waiting or something, then filter your Search accordingly. (A lot of us use a Saved Search we created instead of the built-in hot list which may or may not serve your needs).

You could also give it a special context and filter for that. Or a tag, like "invisible", and filter for that. It just depends on how you're using TD and what features you're using.

HTH
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 27, 2010
Posted by jason:
Im interested in seeing how other people manage their tasks in different ways using the free version of Toodledo and Folders, Contexts and Tags.

Just been very busy. I'll tell you my schema, though I'm probably the least qualified person here bacause I've only been using TD for 6 weeks or so, and I'm still tweaking.

I'm an Amininistrative Assistant for a Colorado government agency, and I support various people and efforts in the division. We have a major project going on, and I directly support a few of the Workgroups doing the project. I also indirectly support the other workgroups and the project in general, since I work for the Assistant Director who is the Project Manager. So I have a list of routine duties like timekeeping and answering phones along with a sizable amount of project work, like taking minutes, scheduling meetings, getting copies made, etc. Part of the reason I like TD is that it's powerful enough to handle the variety of things I do and keep it all organized, if not up to date (Eagerly waiting for the enhancement that actually does the work!:).

So I have folders for the division, for the overall Project, and for each workgroup I support. For years I've had a system of naming such bodies because they often have long names that take up a lot of screen real estate and time to type out over and over (I'm not a good typist, and know every trick in the book to minimize the amount of typing I do. Fortunately, my present assignment doesn't require much typing). So the Research and Evaluation Workgroup is EvalWG in all my postings, file system and in TD. The Project Operations and Implementaton Team is POIT, everywhere. This keeps my folder names short so I can see more across the screen before they fall off the edge into the "More" tab.

Since I group the overall division work under one folder, to keep the total number of folders down, I use tags for my routing duties, again, abbreviated to keep them short. So Timekeeping is TimeK, and so on. I also tag the name of the person I'm doing something for to keept track whom I'm working for and to get additional information if needed. I use first name, last initial as I have in many other systems over the years for the same reasons I use the standard abbreviations mentioned above.

For Contexts, so far, I have Home, Work, Phone and Out. I'm still working on this because it's not quite right. When I have a little time, I'm going to modify them according to a post I saw here a few days ago (Just realized I didn't mark it, so hope I can find it again!). I'm going to have "Phone" as a folder so I can have both Home and Work Contexts for Phone and discriminate which is which.

I use the various Statuses as needed. While there are a lot of requests to make this field customizable, which seems reasonable to me, I don't really need it. I find the various statuses more than adequate for my needs.

Since I have the paid version (am happy to pay the $15, even if I didn't need the features, just go keep TD going), I have subtasks and I mostly use those for standard, repeating projects I do, some of which repeat on a regular basis, some of which repeat on demand. There are some really excellent, helpful postings on how to set this up, if you decide to go Pro at some point.

I don't use the Main page as my main page. I use the Search page and a lot of saved Searches to slice and dice my task lists so I can see whatever I need to keep track of it all. Again, I use abbreviations for the Saved Search names to save space, so my final daily work list is "W-Star", meaning, work, starred. I go thru the many items on my task list each morning in another longer list, which is filtered for all tasks that have a due date before tomorrow, a start date before tomorrow, and are in the Work or Phone contexts and have an Active or Next Action status. Something like that. I star the tasks I'd like to accomplish today and work from that starred list.

I also use TD for my personal task list, and am still developing that aspect. Not as urgent as my work needs. But it is creating additional folders and Saved Searches.

Finally, I've just started playing with using TD as my grocery list. Not sure this is going to work, but I'm giving it a try. This will be in a separate folder offscreen from my work related tasks. If it starts to clutter up TD, I'll do something else. Again, there are some great tips in these forums on different ways to set this up.

One last detail, something I've learned over the years with other similar things. For the folders and Saved Searches that I don't use often but still want available, I name them "zDone" or "zRepeat", to put them at the end of the list so they fall off into "More" and the ones I need more often are visible and available.

I hope this gives you some idea of how you might use TD. I still have a ways to go to get my system refined. If any other users see a simpler, gentler way to do what I'm doing, I'm always open to suggestions.

Best of luck with TD. Keep coming to the forums for help, they're some of the friendliest and most helpful I've attended in my many years of using online support.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Aug 27, 2010 in: Locations, Reverse Sort, and More
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
Wow! I have to say, this is very refreshing. I know to those who've been here a while, there is a certain amount of frustration. I try to understand it. Since I've been hanging in Cultured Codes (Things) forums for over 2 years (except when they shut the forums down for a while to try to eliminate the din of their very unhappy high end users, which only exacerbated the situation when they re-opened them), I find these forums overall, very cheerful and supportive. Particularly the frequent participation by the developers. The above message, explaining their strategy and decision making process is really nice to know, even if you might disagree with it. Frankly, as I was reading all the criticisms of the latest release, and in particular the decision to implement location, I was imagining all the reasons they might do so. My imaginary list almost exactly matches their real one. So while I have no use for location at the moment, I understand their decision.

Just their coming here and giving us an explanation is so much better than the dead silence from the developers at CC's forums. I read somewhere once that a child would rather be hit than ignored and neglected, and I think there's some truth to that (not advocating child abuse, just pointing out a reality of life). I certainly prefer them coming out with regular releases, something more than bug fixes, than nothing at all accompanied by what feels like truculent silence. And showing up, on a daily basis, offering help and explaining as much as they feel they can without giving away secrets to their competition, is much appreciated.

Just my POV. Coming from where I've been, this place is paradise.
Salgud

Posted Aug 27, 2010 in: Multiple subtasks
  • Salgud
It could be fairly simple, by adding an option box in the Mulit-Edit screen labeled "Make new tasks subtasks of selected task".
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 26, 2010
Posted by Peter S...:
[quote]Posted by Salgud:

<DIV class=quote>I'd like to see an option in the Start Date and Due Date fields to tell TD to automatically Star a task on it's due date or it's Start Date. The way I, and others, use TD, this would be extremely useful for keeping my hot tasks list updated without my having to do it all manually. [/quote]

You can set new task default to have the star on.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

I realize you can do that, but it's not the same. I want the option when I create a task or edit it to have the task automatically starred when it comes due or on it's Start Data. That way, I don't have to search for them, they'd just be on my starred (Hotlist) on that date.
Salgud

• Salgud
I'd like to see an option in the Start Date and Due Date fields to tell TD to automatically Star a task on it's due date or it's Start Date. The way I, and others, use TD, this would be extremely useful for keeping my hot tasks list updated without my having to do it all manually.

Thanks for all the great work and the new update!
Salgud

• Salgud
Thanks, Peter, that's very helpful.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next