ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Mar 21, 2011 in: Repeat task feature
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 21, 2011
  • Score: 0
That's all it's supposed to appear. After you mark it done, another is created due tomorrow.
Salgud

Posted Mar 18, 2011 in: long-term projects
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 18, 2011
I have many tasks that stretch over several days. I just set the start date and due date, and have my "Today" list show any task that's start date is today or earlier and any task whose due date is today or later, along with various other criteria on status and such. Works well for me, YMMV.

As far as Project Management goes, I wouldn't undertake a serious project using only a task management tool. I used, taught and consulted on MS Project for years and would use that.

That said, there's a steep learning curve to properly use MS Project and you have to know at least the basics of Critical Path Method Scheduling. Of course, if you know it well, the pay-off is huge. Unfortunately, the vast majority of MS Project users have no clue as to how to apply it or what exactly it tells them.

In any case, task management software begins where scheduling software stops. Any given task in MS project usually is broken down into more detail in a resource's task list. A very good heuristic for using scheduling software is that tasks should have durations between 1 and 10 days (for reasons I wont' go into here). Sometimes maybe a 0.5 day task, like a meeting. Which would imply that the resources assigned to that task would have task lists for each of the Project tasks broken down further. One way to look at this would be to make each Project task a parent task in TD, with the break-down being the subtasks. At least in theory.

Of course, your workflow may not align well with such an approach. Since you're not using scheduling software, it probably won't. If you want to confine your scheduling to only TD, you've limited yourself quite a bit. Not knocking TD, I love it, but I wouldn't depend on it alone if I was doing something that involved more than a few resources and more than 30 or 40 scheduling software level tasks. Yours, and TD's mileage may vary here too! :)
Salgud

Posted Mar 15, 2011 in: Where is the toodledo 101?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 15, 2011
These foruma and the Help section are the best tools available.
Salgud

Posted Mar 14, 2011 in: Due Date Yesterday, Last 7 days...
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 14, 2011
I think that if I had 5,000 overdue tasks, I'd have much bigger problems than just trying to organize them. In fact, if I had 5,000 tasks total, I'd re-examine my life! YMMV
Salgud

Posted Mar 14, 2011 in: Cumulative flow chart
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 14, 2011
That sounds like the best way to do it. Don't really need it myself, I can see if my task lists are getting longer or shorter without a graph.
Salgud

Posted Mar 10, 2011 in: Cloning Task to Folder
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 10, 2011
You need to figure a way to have the new tasks have some unique attribute such that you can filter for them and multi-edit. If they're the only subtasks in "no folder", for example, you can filter for them on that basis, then multi-edit them if they're going to the same folder. If they're going to different folders, you have to do them one at a time.

HTH
Salgud

Posted Mar 10, 2011 in: Task and Subtask Dependancy
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 10, 2011
Oft requested feature, it's on "the list".
Salgud

Posted Mar 08, 2011 in: Subtasks levels
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 08, 2011
I think that the TD developers understand how useful it would be to some users - it's been requested, as you said, many times. The real question is, to how many users?

Also, it adds another level of complexity, which is always a problem in software.

As far as "ease" goes, I don't believe that any change to software as complex as TD is "easy". Writing the code, which might or might not be easy, is just the start. After you write, you have to test, and test all possible scenarios which might cause problems - bugs. As evidenced by the number of bugs that have occurred in the last few months after relatively small features were added to TD, this is problematic. I'm sure they test them before release as thoroughly as they can, but I've seen a lot of posts from users having problems after these new additions. I've been lucky - in most cases I haven't been affected. But others definitely have. I would think this affects their decisions as to what to add and what to leave as is.

Finally, there's "the list". The list of all planned enhancements to TD that has accumulated since they first offered it. I can only guess at how many items are currently on "the list". Lots. So they have to triage that list peridically and figure out which ones to do now, and which ones will have to wait. Some features I've wanted since I started using TD last July still haven't made the cut, and may not for a while longer. Nonetheless, they are moving forward, and keep coming out with regular updates. That's as good as I can ask for. As always, YMMV.

I don't know what, if any, effect "campaigning" for a feature in the forums has on their priorities. If it were me, I'd probably put off those features people nagged me for! But I'm pretty ornery - they're probably much nicer than me, most people are. :)

Best of luck!
Salgud

Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Score: -1
I think all of us understand how another level of subtasks would work. Just not something some of us need. That's why I said "YMMV".

Where did you hear it was difficult?
Salgud

Posted Mar 08, 2011 in: Frustrated attempting to use Palm TX
  • Salgud
KISS? :)
Salgud

• Salgud
Still only one level of subtasks. I think I saw a post from the developer saying there is no intent to add more - that's the pervue of Project Management software, and I agree. YMMV.
Salgud

Posted Mar 07, 2011 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 07, 2011
I've posted questions in these forums many times, always gotten an answer from somebody, usually the developers, in a day or less. Hard to beat, in my experience.
Salgud

Posted Mar 07, 2011 in: expenses
  • Salgud
Depends on what it's for. Online, stand-alone, iDevice, Android?
Salgud

Posted Mar 07, 2011 in: Last day of the month event
  • Salgud
+1 for "last day of the month"!
Salgud

Posted Mar 07, 2011 in: Multi-Line view show the hidden details
  • Salgud
A bigger target for showing both lines would be nice!
Salgud

Posted Mar 07, 2011 in: subtasks
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
From the non-GTD perspective, I use sub-tasks almost entirely for recurring projects. I have ad-hoc projects that I do here and whenever one comes up, I just take the project template, kept in a "Templates" folder, Mulit-edit the parent task and it's subtasks, moving them to my "Work" folder to be processed in with my normal workflow. Works quite well, saves considerable time.
Salgud

Posted Mar 07, 2011 in: Toodledo Hanging
  • Salgud
I've had this happen to me a few times recently.
Salgud

Posted Mar 03, 2011 in: Relative Due Dates Suggestion
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 03, 2011
I'd like to see + and - on due dates like "every third Thurs". I go to a meeting every third Thurs, and I have to prep for it staring on Monday. I'd like to enter a start date of "every third Thurs -4". I also write up the draft of the minutes a day or two after, so I'd like that to start "every third Thurs +1 and finish "every third Thurs +2. Has this been discussed before? On "the list"?
Salgud

Posted Mar 01, 2011 in: Orange circles before my eyes
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 01, 2011
Thanks!
Salgud

Posted Mar 01, 2011 in: Your current number of tasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 01, 2011
As a long time user, trainer and consultant on MS Project, my experience is that a "task" in MS Project is a "project" in TD (or any task manager). E.g., "Write Report" is a single task in MS Project, but is a parent task in TD which has subtasks like "Gather info", "Write outline", "Write First Draft", etc.

In general, a todo list like TD should be one level down from a CPM schedule like MS Project. Of course, YMMV.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next