ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Apr 09, 2012 in: Hello i am new here
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 09, 2012
  • Score: -1
Welcome! You can find a great deal of helpful information in these forums, and, what you can't find, you can ask for.
Salgud

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Addition of 'Cost' field
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Apr 05, 2012
  • Score: 0
LOL! Then you must be talking about one of those kiddy microscopes. You guys are so cheap! :)
Salgud

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Addition of 'Cost' field
  • Salgud
If you add more fields, you'll have to include a bigger monitor in the Pro+ subscription feature list. I already have a 22" monitor at work, and it just about fills the screen in single line mode, which I prefer. I hate scrolling in something like TD. But I would happily pay the extra money for Pro+ if it included a bigger monitor! :)
Salgud

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Holidays
  • Salgud
@ Folke X

I agree, except that it's rutabagas that I hate in my calendar. :)

I liked DateBk, an old Palm app (that's still around). It was highly customizable and one option was a "blended" view which would show me a list of my appointments for the day and a list of tasks due that day. But it had the capability to show whatever you wanted, so if you don't want to see your tasks for the day, or just your tasks, you could have that too. It allowed you to format and filter in a gazillion ways. Sometimes, it was overwhelming. It certainly had a steep learning curve, and the printed PDF manual was over 100 pages, if I remember correctly. There were a number of setup screens, each cluttered with a dozen or more choices crammed into a Palm window. But once you figured it out and set it up to your tastes, it was so handy. After that, I only had to tweak it occasionally to make small adjustments.

The options also included the ability to show or not show your tasks in the calendar views. Since it had Day, Week and Month views, you could determine whether tasks showed by view, so I had tasks showing in Day view, but not in Week or month view, in default mode, as they were already cluttered on that small screen. Still, it had the option to toggle tasks on or off in each view. Very flexible.

Still, I'm not sure it would make the more purist GTDrs happy, as your tasks, appointments and contacts were all together in one app.

I agree that I prefer not to schedule tasks in general. It never works out the way I planned it (mice, men, etc.) and I just get frustrated and waste more time adjusting all the times I put in that have now changed, again. But in some circumstances, planning a task, especially something like an errand, works well. Or even when I have an hour between appointments, which is not enough time to get home and back, I can schedule tasks in the gap, as long as I have the resources available. In that case, scheduling a task to that time slot makes perfect sense.

So I prefer a task manager that is what I have dubbed a "time manager", which helps me plan my time, whether for appointments, tasks, or anything else that uses my time. Lots of flexibility to show/not show stuff in whatever format I need at that moment on whatever device I have along, is, for me, the Holy Grail of task management.
Salgud

• Salgud
Good stuff! Thanks again.
Salgud

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Holidays
  • Salgud
@gashton

There are other ways besides Allen's approach to view your task list and your calendar. Allen and his disciples believe that tasks and appointments are two entirely different things. Others of us believe that an appointment is just a special kind of task that must be done at a specific time. In this approach, there is a continuum from tasks that have no specific time relationship and can be done at any time, to tasks with a due date, and maybe a due time, to appointments, which start, and often end, at specific times. But they are all viewed as "tasks".

So my ideal task manager is one that manages all of this, so I can plan my day or week with all of my "tasks" in mind. What we're really talking about here is a "time manager" software that helps me manage my time. For me, and others, the Holy Grail of time managers would be something that encompasses all of this, and incorporates my Contacts list as well, since virtually all of my appointments and many of my tasks in some way or another involve the people and organizations in my Contacts list. I've had such programs at times, such as DateBk on my Palm devices back in the day. I'm currently looking at Pocket Informant as such a product.

I like TD, though I wish it was moving toward being a Time Manager, it doesn't appear to be their goal. The latest version of their Calendar view is less feature-rich than the previous one, signalling me that they aren't particularly interested in making the calendar more integrated with the task list. They have a lot of GTDrs aboard, so this makes sense from a marketing POV. It's nice that they even have a Calendar, but it's not useful to me in it's current form because it doesn't show my appointments for me to plan around. That said, I continue to use TD because it's feature rich (I use about 90% of the features) and very well supported by it's developer. At least I consider it well supported, though others need more personal replies to their queries to stroke their fragile egos! :)

Just wanted to give another perspective on time management besides the ever-popular GTD. I'm not knocking GTD, just saying it's not for everybody, that is has it's limitations, and is certainly not the only approach.

This message was edited Apr 05, 2012.
Salgud

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Ability to tag notes
  • Salgud
Good idea! I'll be it's "on the list".
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 29, 2012
Posted by Eric.Knops:
I use Pocket Informant because it has integrated calendar and tasks -- which seems obvious to me and was on the Palm Pilot, but is for some reason hard to find with Android apps.

Just curious. I took a look at PI recently, but found a lot of problems syncing with GCal. Do you sync w/ Gcal, and if so, does it work?
Salgud

Posted Mar 29, 2012 in: multiple notebooks
  • Salgud
You might like to know that TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING most places in the net. Better to type in all lower case if you don't like using the shift key.

And no, TD does not have multiple calendars. Then again, it's not a calendaring app, the calendar is just there for your tasks, not your appointments.
Salgud

• Salgud
Interesting. I tried hovering over my Saved Searches, and all I see is a tip with the Saved Search name in it. Tried it in both FF and IE8. ??
Salgud

Score: -3
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 26, 2012
  • Score: -3
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal

This message was edited Mar 26, 2012.
Salgud

• Salgud
@Purveyor

I meant what I said. Finding someone to replace himself to handle the forums would put him out of touch with a good source of user feedback (I know, you don't believe he pays any attention to it, as you've said here many times. He's just wasting his time, for some unfathomable reason).

One of the problems of many companies in this and other businesses is that management loses track of what the customer thinks and wants. Branson, the British billionaire who owns Virgin records and Virgin Airlines, is known to occasionally go to Heathrow, a formidable endeavor in itself, and get on one of his airline's flights and serve his customers himself. He talks with both crew and passengers to find out how they feel about the airline's service. Why doesn't he send someone else, or just ask the flight crews? Because second-hand knowledge is nothing compared to first-hand knowledge. If you don't understand that, then all your knowledge of straw men, etc, is wasted.
Salgud

Posted Mar 26, 2012 in: Changing names of labels
  • Salgud
But you can pretend it's "Job".
Salgud

Score: 3
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2012
  • Score: 3
Interesting hypothesis. Maybe a bit reactionary?

First, I should state that I am not, nor have I ever been, a GTDer, and for some of the same reasons you state above.

It essentially programs the user to react mechanically to upcoming tasks, affirming a system that minimizes any concept of achievement and instead praises the process of clicking checkboxes.

While this is pretty strong lingo, it's similar to my own thoughts on GTD. I've simply called it "soulless". It strikes me as being designed for obsessive-compulsive personalities with lots to do. Write it all down, prioritize it, do it. Add more, repeat.

That is not to say that everyone using GTD is obsessive-compulsive, or that such a system can't be modified to include more "soul". I've seen examples of people who've done so in these and other forums. It's certainly not without merit. It appears that you have done this yourself - you've identified what you like and don't like about GTD and modified it accordingly. That's admirable. But to condemn the system that many find so useful seems like a bit of overkill to me. Baby, bathwater, that whole thing.

Yes, contexts, as Allen conceived them, are obsolete. But I recently stole a suggestion from someone else here for a context to identify work related tasks that I can do from home, so I can take a working-at-home day occasionally and not have to commute, and work uninterrupted. So while the original implementation may be outdated, the concept can still be useful.

So I admire your ability to analyze and modify and move forward with your own system, I don't see the necessity to condemn the system yours is based on. Just don't use it!
Salgud

• Salgud
None of the above changes the fact that you, and others, are telling a man with a very successful business that he is an idiot, and you know how to run his business far better than he.

We do agree on one thing, at least. That I'm fascinating! :)
Salgud

• Salgud
Isn't it funny, how the guy with the successful software business, who gives the best, most consistent support out there, doesn't have a clue as to how to run his business?

"Just listen to us, Jake, we know how you should run your business far better than you could ever hope to. Hire someone who doesn't know diddly about TD to answer our questions and give us the status of all your ongoing projects. Lose touch with what's going on in these forums because you obviously don't understand and don't really care about us anyway, which is proven by the fact that you spend time everyday coming into these forums and answering our questions yourself."

It's always the guy who doesn't have a clue how to do something who's telling the guy doing it successfully how wrong he's doing it.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 22, 2012
Finally, we get to a positive, useful comment. Up until now, it's just been complaining and attacking, not much help to anyone. While I don't particularly like your suggestion, at least it's not just another gripe about the SOP here, but a helpful offering. If I were Jake, I'd certainly consider it.

I agree that the standard reply is often misinterpreted, and could be modified to avoid misunderstandings. However, I also believe that any standard answer is going to be resented by some. And that no one can be expected to answer as many requests a day as we see in these forums on an individual basis, so there will always be some resentment about the "canned" reply. It just goes with the territory.
Salgud

Posted Mar 22, 2012 in: Folder disappears
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 22, 2012
Posted by robin.spark:
I just realised that dozens of tasks from several folders have all of a sudden become folder-less. What is going on here?

BTW - the above folders were deleted somehow. When I took my phone out of my pocket, it was unlocked, and the todo list was showing. Is there anyway to prevent the todo list from unlocking the phone by showing alert dialog boxes?

I've had a few iPhones by now, and I've never had any alert from any software, and I use several apps that have alerts, unlock the phone. I'm not sure this is even possible.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 21, 2012
I'll give you this, Purveyor, your rationalizations for cj's suggestion are better than his own.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Mar 21, 2012
Posted by Purveyor:
Salgud, you are not confused. You are just interested in pointing out that cj is wrong.

You're pretty quick there, Purveyor!

I think that cj's post has some merit. Jake could provide more info about user suggestions: Is it a first-time suggestion or has it come up several times? Is it highly unlikely that the suggestion will ever be implemented or is it something that is being given serious consideration? The standard response provides some feedback but it can be misleading. Users will sometimes think that their proposed features will be implemented soon (because they are on "the list") but, in any practical sense, it's never going to happen.

Anyone who pays attention to the replies from TD has figured out that when they say "it's on the list", it's on the list. When they say, "thanks, we'll give it some thought", probably not on the list. This is not all that hard to figure out.

cj did not suggest that they give "more details", he suggested that they promise to move that particular suggestion up the list, as though this would make any sense.

I've noticed, though, that Jake has been providing more information recently when responding to suggestions. That's a move in the right direction. And, of course, it's great that he takes the time to respond to so many suggestions.

Agreed, especially the last. If you, or cj, or anyone else, has a worthwhile suggestion as to how to handle the thousands of requests TD gets here, I imagine Jake would be happy to hear it. But suggesting that they placate each suggestor with a "great idea, we'll move it up the list" is, to put it kindly, not helpful. And to suggest that Jake write a paragraph or two on the history of each suggestion is ridiculous. He already takes more time to reply than most developers in this situation, but some of you want him to give up developing just to make some end users happy. I don't support that, I'd rather have him developing. YMMV.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next