ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Aug 04, 2010 in: Filter for reminders?
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 04, 2010
  • Score: 0
Thanks for the reply. What took you so long? :)
Salgud

Posted Aug 04, 2010 in: Filter for reminders?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 04, 2010
Is there anyway to filter for tasks that have reminders? If not, that's a feature I could use. Could anyone else use that capability?
Salgud

Posted Aug 02, 2010 in: Just upgraded to Pro
Score: -2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 02, 2010
  • Score: -2
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal
Salgud

Score: 3
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Aug 02, 2010
  • Score: 3
Just ran across this rather old thread and feel like adding my 2 cents. I'm one of those people who can't see my nose in front of my face sometimes. I've complained in many websites and forums about how difficult it is to get started with an app because I can't find the obvious-to-others button. I'm pretty ADD or ADHD, so that might be part of it.

That being said, the first time I came to the TD website, it took me a few seconds to find the "Add a Task" button. I was up and running and entering tasks and putting them in folders and tagging and using all the features of the free version in minutes. Admittedly, I have a lot of experience with electronic task managers on all sorts of devices in all kinds of interfaces. Still, TD's is one of the easiest to figure out that I've seen, especially considering the verstatility and power of the app.

I agree that the "Add a Task" button could be more prominent. I certainly agree that the interface could be prettier, proabably more functionally designed. And I agree a brief into video would be useful to many noobs, no question.

But this is NOT a difficult interface to get started in for most users. I think the OP was maybe having a bad day, came here, probably not focusing too well, couldn't find the "Add a Task" button in the upper right corner, and lost it. Have done the same thing myself at times. It's frustrating when you can't find what you know should be obvious, and you can't see it. But for me, it's usually my brain that's out of focus, not the app's interface. If we saw this same complaint repeatedly, it would be wise for TD to make appropriate changes. But that just isn't the case.

This message was edited Aug 02, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Jul 31, 2010 in: Hi everyone! one stupid question)
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 31, 2010
Hulu, Boxee
Both free (some) and legit
Salgud

• Salgud
Or a Status of "Cancelled".
Salgud

Posted Jul 31, 2010 in: Task emailing + Permalinks
  • Salgud
Thanks for your reply.

Ok, it's the icon itself. Got it now.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Jul 30, 2010 in: Task emailing + Permalinks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 30, 2010
I've tried to follow these instructions, but I can't get "Permanent Link" to do anything. I can't find the permanent link it's supposed to create. I looked in the task note field, but it's not there. Where is this "Permanent Link"?
Salgud

Posted Jul 30, 2010 in: Testing possible ugrade..
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 30, 2010
You can also drag any existing task on the hand icon to any other task and make it a subtask.
Salgud

Posted Jul 28, 2010 in: notebook vs. reference
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 28, 2010
  • Score: -1
I noticed this feature in TD when I first perused it. Seems like an ok idea, if you don't have a full featured notetaking app. I've used EN for years, so I can't think of any use for the TD notes, but I'm sure others use them to advantage.
Salgud

Posted Jul 28, 2010 in: How to simply search for stars...?
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
Seems to me that when you design software, you have to make decisions about how different people are going to use it and try to accomodate the maximum number by giving them flexible solutions. In the case of heirarchal tasks, sometimes some people are going to want to see all the subtasks, and sometimes they won't. I think the TD developers tried to give us options both ways, which naturally leads to some drawbacks. If they had done the opposite, they belived they would have had move complaints that by doing this way, and I believe they're probably right. There are many compromises in software design, and this is a great example. No matter how they resolved the issue, some of us were going to like it, and others not so much.
Salgud

Posted Jul 28, 2010 in: Problem with "&" in note
  • Salgud
Type in "and"?
Salgud

Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
Good suggestions. I've worked with other software that had these features and they're very handy. I've thought about how useful it would be to have a short list of saved views (saved searches with the sorting and filtering settings preserved) for my most commonly used views, like Today's Work, Today's Personal, etc. Then have my other saved searches/views in another list that I access (less often) from a menu or something. That way I can have my cake and eat it too.

I'll vote twice for this one!
Salgud

Posted Jul 28, 2010 in: How do you use Folders/Contexts/Tags?
  • Salgud
Sounds like a worthwhile question. I enjoyed reading Peter's schema, very GTD. Looking forward to seeing how others have implemented TD for their workflow.

Mine is very different, partly because I'm not a GTDer. My folders consist of a series that are based on various Work Groups I'm involved with at work, so I track my activities with each one. In addition, I have folders for Phone, Personal, Home, Bio (a personal video biography project I'm doing), and Templates. I just started my 7 day trial for a pro account to see if the extra features are useful. I've created templates for some of the regular projects I do at home and at work, like weekend housecleaning at home.

I only have 3 contexts, Home, Work, Out. Since I have a phone everywhere I go now, I don't need a "phone" context. (I have the Phone folder so I can look to see what calls I have to make when I have a minute or two free, which I could probably do with a context.) And I know I have a computer at home and work, but not when I'm "out".

I'm still sorting out my tagging schema. After years of working with various kinds of software with tagging capabilities, I have a standard approach to figuring out how best to use them in any new app. I just randomly tag everything I can think of for a while. Usually, some of the tags are redundant with other features, like folders, contexts, etc. After a few weeks, it becomes obvious to me which ones are useful and which ones aren't, and delete the useless ones. I know, pretty shotgun approach, but just like a shotgun, it gets the birds. So I'm still playing with that.

So far, I'm using tags to break down one of the folders that contains a lot of tasks of various types. For example, I track Action Items for a huge project we're doing right now, the one involving the various Work Groups I mentioned that I have folders for. So any activity involved in tracking those Action Items is tagged "AI" so I can see where I am on those easily. This is very important to my boss, so I stay on top of it, and give these tasks top priority.

So basically, I'm using tags to track my various areas of responsibility here at work. Will take a bit longer to figure out how to use them in my personal life, but I imagine they'll out themselves as I get more comfortable with TD.

I hope others chime in here with their systems - I learn something every time I read how someone else is using TD. It may or may not directly relate to what I'm doing, but you never know when some adaptation of one of those ideas becomes very useful in my system.
Salgud

Posted Jul 27, 2010 in: TD Mac-like interface broken
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 27, 2010
I appreciate the post someone made offering a script to pretty up TD's ugly face. Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/190/0/toodledo-desktop-client-for-mac-kinda.html

I followed the instructions as best I could, but near the end it said to select Toodledo style from the styles menu, but that option wasn't there.

Does anyone know that's it's broken? Can the person who created it fix it? I sure liked the pic of that interface a lot better.

EDIT: Went back and tried a third time. This time, the Things style script was in the scripts menu, but after I followed the rest of the steps, nothing happened. Still have the same ole ugly TD UI. Bummer

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Jul 27, 2010 in: Reuse project (task with same subtasks)
  • Salgud
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I cloned the project I had already created, remamed it as a template, and moved it to a folder named Templates. But none of the tasks moved with it. I tried to figure out how to make a filter that would give me just the subtasks of the template to move them all at once, but couldn't. The filtering of subtasks appears to be somewhat more complex than the filtering of tasks.

I finally had to edit each of the 13 subtasks to move them to my templates folder. So it appears that when I create a copy of my template, I'll have to manually edit each subtask to move it to another folder and change it's status.

It is definitely better than having to start from scratch each time, but it still requires a lot of manual one-at-a-time editing. I think it would be better if there were a setting to make the subtasks follow the task, so if I changed the main task to another status, folder, etc., the subtasks changed with it. This would give much better control of the use of subtasks and templates, I think.

EDIT:
Just found that if I flatten them, I can work with the subtasks and the template and search to isolate them and multi-edit. Not sure this would always work, but it is a step further.

Any suggestions?

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010.
Salgud

Posted Jul 27, 2010 in: Reuse project (task with same subtasks)
  • Salgud
I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times before here, but I tried a couple of searches and didn't find what I'm looking for.

I do what is basically the same project (task with subtasks) fairly often, but not regularly, as part of my job. It has 13 subtasks. I'd like to be able to revive this project after it's done, rename it, and have the same 13 tasks for this one. What are some, if there are more than one, ways to do this in TD?
Salgud

Posted Jul 27, 2010 in: Notes column
  • Salgud
Well, grouping it with the grid view is like a hint, but you should know by now, some of us can't take a hint! :)
Salgud

Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2010
  • Score: 2
I heartily agree, this would be a nice addition.

I heartily disagree with the complaint about the canned message saying "this is on our task list". Of course, many, many features are on the TD TD list. I can't imagine how many. And no software company in it's right mind will promise delivery dates. I've done enough development work to know how many things can go wrong, and how long it can take to track down and fix some silly bug that brings down the whole show.

As for the "canned" part, why should the developers post a custom written message when there's not much to be said? The fact that they even reply here at all is so refreshing after years of being totally ignored on CC's forums. They take the time to say we're here, we've noticed your request, it's on the list. What more could anyone want?
Salgud

Posted Jul 26, 2010 in: Notes column
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2010
OIC! Thanks for esplainin that!

Just a suggestion. Shouldn't that option be unavailable (with a note explaining why) when the mulit-line view is selected?

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next